What to do?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo
  • 1 Post By mom_of_three
  • 1 Post By SusanKelly05

Thread: What to do?

mom_of_three is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default What to do?

I have an 8th grader that will be going into high school next year and we're torn on what to do. We just got back into K12 through our public school as a virtual school. I'm not totally happy on how it's been going so far. They put so much pressure on state testing. My 8th grader has major testing anxiety along with his own social anxieties. He'll be able to test at home which is nice, but looking through what will be on the state assessments, I'm a little disappointed. I was looking at what Time4Learning teaches in their curriculum and in the LA it covers everything that's on the state assessments, but in K12 there's no lessons or instruction on what's on the state assessment in the Reading portion. I also have a 1st grader and 6th grader too. We were with K12 for 3 years and then we decided to do our own thing as a homeschool. We did that for 1-1/2 years and I just needed some more structure, so we went back to K12 this semester, which I'm thinking was a mistake, although they are getting that structure. We've tried Time4Learning before, but my boys found some aspects childish. I'm not sure what the high school curriculum is like, but it looks like a very good curriculum to use. We just can't afford a lot. We do have to pay $97 per student in the virtual public school for fees, which of course they advertise it's free, but our district has fees. If I put all 3 of my boys into Time4Learning, we would be paying close to $65/month, which isn't too bad considering it is their education and I would be paying for that in textbooks in the long run. I'm just worried about the whole High School Diploma thing and if he'll need to get a GED, etc.. In a way I really want to try Time4Learning for all 3 of my boys again, but I feel bad that we just got back into the K12 program. My boys are already stressing out about state testing and in a way I'm like "don't let it stress you out, your lessons aren't covering it, what do they expect?" It's just frustrating. They send out these yellow books that have all the information on what's covered on the state assessment. They want them to study those, take the practice tests, and then get on Study Island and take more weekly skills checks on what's covered on the state assessments. How can they get their daily lessons done AND do all this studying for state assessments? It just seems like a lot and they don't get to focus on what they're suppose to be learning. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I have not personally used K12 but my daughter uses it. My granbabies are so stressed all the time. It is hard for them to keep up with all the work they require. And you are right, it is all about passing those state tests. My son uses time4learning and loves it. There is no pressure to pass the test.

A GED is not the only solution for your kids. Many students begin taking community college classes when they are 15 or 16 years old. By the time they are ready to go to the university they have already built up a good transcript of college credits. Most universities will accept them as a transfer student.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We tried K12 once and pulled out by mid January for much the same reason you are upset with them. The testing pressure was over the top. She was required to go to Study Island everyday for a specific length of time to practice for the tests. There were other things I didn't like as well, one was not having control over what she learned. I hated the history books they used. They were very slanted (there were 8 of them and they were all written by one author--she pushed her agenda a little too much).

Yes, T4L lower grades can be a little childish, but it is good academically. My daughter found the high school courses much more grown up. She enjoys the video lessons the most. If you decide to try T4L again, one good thing is there are no contracts, so you can't lose.

Keep us in the loop.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I haven't used K12, but my daughter would not be able to deal with the standardized tests and the test anxiety. It seems odd to teach one thing and then have them study something else for the tests. If the curriculum and the tests that are required don't match up then either the curriculum is inadequate or the tests are worthless....

I suppose there could be other reasons why they don't match up. I have heard of other families that didn't like K12 thru public school because it felt like the public system had too much input and control.

We've used T4L since 1st grade and my daughter is now using T4L High School.
    lovehmschlg likes this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

mom_of_three is offline Junior Member Newbie

I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm starting to lean more towards T4L next year for all 3 of my boys. My youngest really liked it and he'll be in 2nd grade next year. I just don't think I want the public school system being so in charge anymore.

Again, thanks for the input!!!
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Default T4L System Update Suggestions

I like the T4L system but my 12 year finds some of the activities childish. She really like Khan Academy because there are real people and it doesn't the silly characters. It would be nice if the T4L team can change the graphic a bit for the older kids. Also some actual videos with people for some of the other subjects (e.g. Social Studies and LA). These topics are just reading and don't keep anyone engaged. Another thing My child likes about Khan is the reward options. The idea of receiving avatar upgrades and badges are a great way to keep kids motivated. The T4L system should provide an easy access area for suggestion.
    schumacherkristin likes this.