What grade should I start with
    scannon is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default What grade should I start with

I am thinking of homeschooling my son. He hasn't liked school from day one. He is now 12 years old in 7th grade. He doesn't do his homework, always leaving the class (bathroom, nurse...) He is just not interested and doesn't care if he fails. He says he does but he doesn't do anything about it. I asked my district last year to evaluate him for learning disabilities and was turned down. He failed Math and Literacy. We did the on line summer school and he moved on. I know he should have stayed back academically but it would have been devastating for him to see his friends move on without him. He is very well liked by everyone. I wrote to the district again and this time they agreed to evaluate him. They haven't started yet and I will await the outcome of their findings before I do anything but my mind keeps going back to homeschooling. He has some great teachers this year (all of them took the time to come to the meeting as well as his guidance counsler and the vice principal) but they have a lot of kids to worry about and they just don't have the time for one on one and I have to beg him to stay after for extra help. One of my main questions...He is in 7th grade but his level of knowledge is not. How do you know at what level to start with? And if the home schooling doesn't work out like I had hoped, can he go back to school and would they test him to see where he is or just put him in the grade he was in when I took him out?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

scannon, put him at a level 6 on Time4Learning, that way he will have access to grades 5, 6, and 7 within each subject. Start with level 6 lessons and see how he does. If he understands his lessons and passes his quizzes and tests, keep moving forward. If it is too easy, simply move him up the level 7. If he has problems, have him access the level 5 material. He can do this within each subject, which is super because, like my daughter, some kids are a little behind in one area and a little ahead in another. It works great.

I think your son will find the humor great and enjoy most of his lessons. Some, he will not like, but kids are not going to like everything about school.

Here are some sites to help you learn more about how to use Time4Learning effectively.

Hints and Help

Getting Started with Time4Learning

I also want to suggest a great e-book for families new to homeschooling. It is written by other homeschooling families, and is comprehensive without being overwhelming.

I went thru this with my daughter and public school, so I have an idea of what it is like for you. Schools really don't want to deal with kids like ours, and frankly, most do a poor job of it anyway.
    Last edited by jpenn; 01-13-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Added info
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi scannon. Jackie gave you some great advice as to the level to place him at. I just wanted to take a minute to invite you over to the New Jersey Parent Forum. It's a great place to link up with other homeschoolers in our state.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

scannon is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you for the advice. The more I research the more I wonder why I didn't do this sooner. I have joined a group in my area and there are so many people that want to help. Its a shame that my sons school isn't as helpful. Thank you again!