What grade to start with for gifted child?
    sheridanskids is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default What grade to start with for gifted child?

I am wanting to take my son out of third grade, basically as soon as DH says ok, he is out of there. He is bored out of his mind. He is gifted, but has to do the same repetitive worksheets as everyone else, over and over and then bring more home for homework.

I know he is reading on a 6th grade level, but I am not sure if all his LA skills are up there. In math he is on 3rd grade.

Are there ways to test to see where they should be at? Can he take tests to see if he has the material mastered and then skip to the next test and take that one?

Just curious how I would go about doing this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

He can take the tests or quizzes before doing the lesson material. Lesson activities, quizzes, and tests may all be done as many times and in whatever order you desire.

We're glad you're considering Time4Learning. Here is a little information about using Time4Learning for gifted children. You will also find some posts from parents with children who are gifted under the "Special Needs" forum.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

My daughter is your son's age and is a bright little girl. I'm not exactly sure where she's reading, level wise. About 18 months ago, her ps teacher said she was reading at a sixth grade level, so I'm assuming she's pretty up there by now. I still have her doing the T4L at the 3rd grade level because the lessons go quickly and reenforce her core knowledge. Also, the extensions deal with a lot of other information that she doesn't automatically pick up just from being a good reader. She enjoys more difficult literature during her silent reading time.

I would just do a trial after school and see how he does at his grade level. If he is bored and knows everything the lessons are teaching (you can look at the syllabus too) then move him up. And you can have him doing different grades in different subjects if you want, so that's nice if he is working better in some subjects than others.
    Melissa.