What's your typical day and questions about cirriculum

Default What's your typical day and questions about cirriculum

Hello! We are new to this site and are currently using it as an additional tool and also testing the waters of homeschooling. We have 3 children, but only one of which we are considering homeschooling. Our son is currently enrolled in Special Education Kindergarten in public school. A few questions I have regarding the Time 4 Learning curriculum are 1) Do you use this as your main curriculum or as a supplemental curriculum? 2) What are some pros/cons you have found with using Time 4 Learning? 3) How is your "typical" homeschool day structured? 4) Any advice you can offer on homeschooling pros/cons would be great also. Thanks so much!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, HeatherHB.
    I'm sorry you haven't gotten a reply. I'm checking in here often, but I don't know how I missed your post.

Let me welcome you to Time4Learning and homeschooling. We've been using Time4Learning several years now and love it. We supplement with lots of reading (my daughter loves to read) and copy work. Sometimes we'll use some of the lessons in T4L to create lapbooks. If there is a particular lesson that my daughter wants to study at greater length or if she needs more reinforcement in a particular concept, I'll get some books from the library or an educational movie, or even find additional materials. But for the most part, we use Time4Learning as our primary curriculum.
    To answer question 2, I wish there were more material for science and social studies. These are the subjects that we do supplement some. But the pros outweigh the cons. I like that my daughter can work at her own pace and that she can repeat lessons or quizzes as often as necessary without penalty. Each quiz/test is different. The best part is that she's enjoying learning!
    We start our day late in the morning. So after having breakfast and doing some chores, my daughter will do about an hour and a half of Time4Learning. She'll then take a break, either snack or lunch. She'll then do some copy work. After copywork, she'll go back to Time4Learning lessons. Then we'll read a book together or she'll read alone. Sometimes we'll watch an educational movie. Our afternoons vary. We sometimes have field trips, appointments, library time, ballet. Once a week we go to the park to meet with a few other families and a park ranger. The park ranger does a science lesson with the kids about plants, birds, bugs...whatever is on the agenda.

My advice for new homeschoolers is to get connected with other homeschoolers. Find a homeschool support group near you. We have about 4 in our area. We originally visited each one until we found a good fit for our family. My older kids have friends they've had from the time we started homeschooling in kindergarten. This year my oldest graduates homeschool high school with some of those same friends. Second, I like to recommend Time4Learning because all the lesson planning and record-keeping is basically done, so it's one less thing to be concerned about. It frees me to spend more time with my kids. And lastly, homeschooling is so different from brick-and-mortar school. Relax. Our kids are learning just through everyday life. You don't need to spend 5 to 7 hours in front of the computer or with your nose in a textbook. And some kids don't do well with text books. Find what your child likes and teach the child, not the book. Enjoy learning. Make reading and learning fun, and the rest will be easier because they'll be motivated to read and teach themselves (self-learners).

Enjoy your homeschooling journey.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass