When to read LA books
    carlandamy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default When to read LA books

Hi, I just started the free trial this week. I am interested in using T4L in our homeschool class. My children love using the computer. I am excited about using this site also. My first question is concerning the languge arts. I printed off the Lesson plans and the books they will read for each grade. What I am wondering is how do we know when they are supposed to read them? I would like to be able to get them from the library and in the lesson plan I can't seem to tell when they would do that. This is the first time I have been part of a forum. Thanks

Carla is offline Member Regular

Default Re: When to read LA books

The chapters on reading literature are located in the langauge arts lessons. The chapters that are based on literature selections will have an ILA with the name of the chapter under the circle that your child clicks on, at least in the 4th -6th grade levels. Sometimes the chapter name will be the name of the book other times it is named by the topic or subject that the literature deals with. Hope I am making sense.
    The literature guides that go with these units are wonderful!!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

With very few exceptions, the necessary book excerpts are available online as part of the lesson. You can preview one to see what they look like. If your student is in grade 4 or up, input "56365" in the Activity Finder to see "The Black Stallion". If your student is below grade 4, input 34221 to see "Mr Popper's Penguins".

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MomToBallerina is offline Member Newbie

Do the teacher guides clearly indicate when the book excerpt is from an actual published book and when they are text written specifically for time4learning? Maybe an ISBN number or something? I noticed some folk tales and fairy tales in our list yet I didn't know which version of these they may be.

thank you for your assistance
    Nancy

Food for thought:

Every home is a school
    What do you teach there?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Most of the book excerpts in the core curriculum use authentic literature. There are a few in third grade that appear to have been written for CompassLearning.

Here is the fourth grade language arts overview. Near the bottom, you will see a list of books used. The necessary excerpts are included online, as part of the Time4Learning program and you do NOT need to purchase or borrow "the whole book". Some parents want their student to do this extra reading and some students become interested in reading "the whole book" as a result of being exposed to the excerpt.

If you want to look at the list of books for other grade levels, click on the appropriate grade level in blue bar at the left of the fourth grade page.

The language arts extensions will occasionally require a library book and, unfortunately, these don't show up in the lesson plans . . . yet! When we come to one of these, if I haven't previewed ahead so I have the book handy, we just skip it and go on to another lesson until the necessary book arrives.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!