Where do i start?
    Joeyveit29 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Where do i start?

Thinking about home schooling my 3rd grader..just not sure where to start or even if im making the right decision. Any input would be appreciated thanks..Joey

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Joey. You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

The first place to begin is your state's Department of Education website, to know and understand your state's homeschool laws. Each state has its own homeschool laws, and they are all very different. Some of them want you to notify them one time that you are homeschooling, some require no notification, and some require notification each year. Some want students tested each year, some want student tested at the ends of only specific grades, some do not require testing, and some give the option of keeping a portfolio instead of testing. A few require the teaching parent to have a high school diploma or GED (but most do not). These are just some examples of how states vary in their homeschool requirements.

After you know that, then you need to choose a curriculum. Of course, I like Time4Learning! We've used it for almost ten year now. I'm also a terrible person to ask for advice about whether or not you should homeschool your child. While I realize homeschooling may not be best for every child, I've homeschooled my kids from the start. Four of the six have either completed are are attending college right now, and I still have two doing Time4Learning. It's worked very, very well for us.

Good luck to you as you make some hard choices! Parents know their kids best, and I'm sure you'll come up with a plan that works well for your third grader.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!