Where to start with my 11yo/6th grader?
    wdworkman is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Where to start with my 11yo/6th grader?

I would like to try Time4learning with my 6th grade boy next week. Do you think that I should back up on the Science level so that we'll still have two years of lessons ahead of us.

I'm not sure where he would fit for Language Arts. He has no problem with grammar, but with dyslexic/graphia tendencies, his reading and writing skills may be a little behind. Is there something to look at when we register that will give me an idea of what's expected in 6th grade LA?

Also, since he really enjoys the math curriculum that we're currently using, I might let him decide which one to use. Has anyone used Time4learning for all the subjects except math?

I welcome any other suggestions!!

Thanks,
    Janet W
    Janet W
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Where to start with my 11yo/6th grader?

Hi, Janet. I usually recommend that students who have never used Time4Learning before start in a lower level of science and social studies. That's my own personal recommendation, and not something that Time4Learning takes an official stance on.

After registering, you will have easy access to one level above and one level below his registered level, so it will be easy for you to preview lessons from other levels. Be sure you don't mark the lessons as complete, so your preview doesn't show up on your son's grade reports.

You can look at lessons from all the levels by accessing the lesson plans and finding the lesson activity number of an activity you want to preview. Input that number into the Activity Finder.

The core language arts covers the same grammar concepts each year, but the vocabulary is increasingly advanced.

Many people use Time4Learning for only one, two, or three subjects. If you use another math curriculum, it can be fun to find Time4Learning math lessons to complement what your son is studying in his other math program. You can assign these on occasion (especially the ones with a more game-like format) as a fun way to practice.

Looking forward to hearing how things are working for you!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

wdworkman is offline Junior Member Newbie

Since I'm going to be starting T4L about 3 months after the beginning of the school year, do you think that we should do extra lessons to catch up or just plan on not finishing everything this year?

Janet W
    Janet W
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Welcome to T4L! It is a great program.

I was in your situation last year. My 8 year old began the program several months into the school year. At first I thought she should try to catch up, but looking back and keeping in mind what I have learned (now in our 2nd year of homeschooling) I wouldn't worry about playing catch up. My state has more regulation than yours does, and she did more than adequate on her assessment tests. http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp (state by state legal requirements link)
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Blog Entries

The problem with "catching up" is that the focus is usually on getting activities marked off or remembering material just long enough to "pass" a test (and then it's promptly forgotten). Regular forum readers probably get very tired of reading this, but it's more important to make sure "real" learning is taking place (meaning the student will remember most of it next year, too) than to get lessons checked off.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Hi Kelly!

Moving through the material at a non rushed pace IS a much better way to learn and retain the material.

Tori's progress through the 6th grade social studies section on Rome (last year) seemed slow, but just the other night something came up about the Romulus and Remus story and she remembered it well. She was excited she remembered, and so was I.

It's nice to be back here...I've been so busy!
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Blog Entries

Hi, Stephanie. I'm human, so I always love it when someone essentially says, "Hey, you're right!"

That is very cool about Tori's social studies lesson. Sometimes the kids themselves are surprised when they remember something like that.

Will Andy use Time4Learning preschool? If so, we'd love to hear what you think once he gets started.

Nice to have you back!

Andy wanted to begin awhile ago, but I am sort of short on cash. He has been working in workbooks for now. He did have a trial account last year, but he was too young; it wasn't worth it. I think it will be different this time, and I'll sign him up soon. My rule (in order for him to keep his own account) is to competently complete at least a few lessons a week. I'll surely let everyone know how he does! Thanks!
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Blog Entries

Stephanie, the preschool is all new. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Great!! I'm looking forward to it. I read something last night about it being new, and wondered.....
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)