Will the parent need to be involved at all? Can the kids do this all by themselves?
    8isenough is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Will the parent need to be involved at all? Can the kids do this all by themselves?

I need a completely self teaching program that the mom won't have to worry about. Something like Teaching Textbooks where there is a lecture/teaching part then skills page and tests.

can a third grader do all her work by herself without help from a parent at all?

can a fifth grader do all her work by herself without help from a parent at all?

no involvement what so ever from the parent?

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

My daughter has been working on her own the last two years (working on 5-6th level). I would say the 5th grader can most likely do independent work as long as someone is checking up on them via their records, but a 3rd grader might need help every now and then if they run into something they don't understand. I don't think there is a program, Teaching Textbooks included (we also use them), that can stand alone with never having some form of parental help every once-in-a-while.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

I need a completely self teaching program that the mom won't have to worry about. Something like Teaching Textbooks where there is a lecture/teaching part then skills page and tests.
    Most of the T4L activities have something to do, but not all of them have something that will be graded. In this case the grade will show up as N/A on the score report. A child could just click through the pages without reading them at all. This, of course, would be obvious when they took the quiz at the end of the section. T4L also includes resource worksheets that can be printed and completed and there are notebooking suggestions within the science and social studies activities. Without adult supervision, I suspect most kids just skip everything that meant to be completed offline.

can a third grader do all her work by herself without help from a parent at all? can a fifth grader do all her work by herself without help from a parent at all?
    I would say that this depends greatly on the child.

no involvement what so ever from the parent?
    Even if a child is able to work through T4L independently, I would at least run nightly reports. This way the child knows that the parent is involved and placing importance on his progress. If a child feels that no one is interested in what he is doing, he may not do his best work. Even if he is motivated enough to self-teach, a child, in general, needs guidance- especially when beginning with a new product.

JMHO-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Ok, I may have missed something, and I don't mean to sound difficult.
    Is there a reason that the program needs to be completely parent free?
    I think that "no involvelment whatsoever from the parent" might be a little much to expect from a 3rd and 5th graders when it comes to schooling. My 5th/6th (5 in language arts, 6th in everything else) grader might require more hands-on than other children, but I can't imagine a child that doesn't need some parental involvement. Besides, when I get involved, I feel more comfortable knowing what she is learning, what she is skimming through, and what parts of a lesson or subject matter she might enjoy learning more about. I also know where there might be things that are different from what I believe to be true, or might raise questions that we have not covered yet.
    I'm not making any judgements (after all, homeschooling is all about freedom of choice, and flexibility). I'm just curious.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

I have to admit, the thought of a child getting an education with absolutely no parent (or adult) involvement is.... heart wrenching, very very sad. It just sounds so lonely, neglectful even. Even traditional schooling requires adult involvement to get homework and projects done. I'm sorry if I sound judgmental and I guess I admit I am being so. Just know that I homeschool my crew so that I can be involved in every part of their education and upbringing. (By the way, I run a full time business while homeschooling so if it is a time thing... I get that, but I make it work.)

Bryan is offline Junior Member

You might want to see what things your children did learn at regular school before letting them do it on there on. This is only my second year of homeschooling but last year when i started to homeschool my son i found that there were several things that he officially had been taught but didn't know. While my son is doing his schooling I am busy working working from home a few feet away . Just close enough to help him if he has any problems but far enough away that i am not distracting him. The workbooks are great to have around i have my son doing those as well as what he does here . The big thing is to make yourself available if they do need some help. I am not judging you on how you do things just putting in my opinion . Hope it helps .