Will they still want to learn other ways?
    brea7347 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Will they still want to learn other ways?

We just pulled my 1st grader out of public school to homeschool. I really like what I see on T4L and would like to join. My dd did the demo lessons and absolutely loved them and is begging to use this. I have one concern, though. I am concerned that it is so much fun that she won't want to learn any other way. In other words, reading books and traditional teaching might seem boring compared to online animations. I want to still teach her some other subjects the traditional way with books, etc. I also worry about the later years like high school and college. Will she find those boring after years of fun online learning? Will she have the skills she needs to do book work and studying? Has anyone found this to be the case or are your children able to go back and forth between T4L and books? Thanks for any help!!!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi brea7347,

I really don't think this will be a problem. The T4L program does have activities and worksheets also, so she will have things other than computer learning. I would include going to the library, joining a local homeschool co-op group, and supplementing with other things she is interested in learning about. You set up a schedule for her and she will follow your lead. Include hands-on activities and text book or workbook resources if you like.

My daughter goes back and forth between the computer learning and books just fine and most kids do. Your daughter is in the "honeymoon" stage of computer learning. Eventually, she will settle into the program and the frenzy you are experiencing right now will be more normal. She will still love doing her work on the computer, but it won't be a problem to do other types of work too.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

lukebar is offline Junior Member Newbie

My experience has been, when children are having fun, their learning switch is in the ON position. This doesn't really change as we get older. I can remember through high school and college certain teachers who would always inspire us to want to learn more and who truly made learning fun. They didn't always resort to games, but they didn't make it drudgery either. I think we all have it hardwired somewhere in our minds that if it is too much fun, it can't really be all that educational, but I don't think this is the case. I see nothing wrong with helping the learning process be a more enjoyable one through the use of fun and games, ESPECIALLY with younger children.
    Memorizing math facts is boring. Horse races are exciting!
    www.FlashMathDerbyApp.com - for iPad and iPhone