Working full time and Homeschooling
    WorkingDad is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Working full time and Homeschooling

Hello,
    I'm currently weighing out options for my two boys, whether or not to attempt homeschooling myself or place the boys in a private school. I work fulltime, with a flexible shift schedule of my choosing(first or second shift). I'm trying to decide if I'd have adequate time for both work and teaching. I'm completely ignorant with the entire process of homeschooling and have no idea how much time and attention is necessary for the entire process. My boys are about to enter kindergarten and I'm assuming at first, little time would be required, making it possible to balance the load. However, I'm unsure how it would work as they progressed in age and grade level. I suppose the short and simple question is approximately how much daily time is required now and in the future. Thank you in advance.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Working full time and Homeschooling

Hi, Dad! Welcome to the forum.

There are so many variables that it's pretty much impossible to answer your question. You will decide how long to spend. At the K level, you won't need to spend much formal school time. You might be interested in the following article:

How Long is a Homeschool Day?

The older the kids get, the more time they will spend . . . but it's never typically as much as in a traditional classroom situation. We have usually been finished with our formal lessons by noon.

The great thing about homeschooling is that it will fit your situation. You can school in the evenings or on the weekends. You can do an hour in the morning and an hour at night. You can school throughout the summer. You can schedule things however you wish.

Developing a "homeschool" mindset (instead of a public school mindset) helps. For example:

Public School Mindset: Children are being educated when they are at school.
    Homeschool Mindset: Children learn all the time. Our formal lessons don't take long, and then we take advantage of all the fun learning opportunities we can.

Public School Mindset: School must take place between certain hours.
    Homeschool Mindset: School work is one of many things we learn to fit into our day somewhere.

Public School Mindset: Seated at a desk
    Homeschool Mindset: Sprawled on their bed (or up in the treehouse, or at a picnic table . . . )

You get the idea!

Have fun learning with your boys while they are young!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!