Year round vs. Traditional schooling
    home&publicschoolteacher is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Year round vs. Traditional schooling

I am both a public and home school teacher. The school where I work at follows the traditional calendar, while when homeschooling my son we use the year-round calendar.

My thoughts are hypocritical to say the least on this, for my son it works best to year-round school, BUT as a public school teacher I see the children grow wary by the end-of-the year. Not to mention us teachers, really enjoy the long break.

What are your thoughts?

Wmoon is offline Senior Member

Well, for my family we pretty much school year around with lot of breaks though. The beauty of homeschool is not having to be on set schedule.
    *~*Carol*~*
    The potential for happiness is all around you.
    You just have to dip a toe in.

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

We go year round with breaks whenever we decided we want them. We slow down in the summer and only dig out school stuff a couple of times a week. We're too busy going to the pool or the beach or something to keep up at full speed. It works! My children retain everything FAR better. Plus our family runs much more smoothly when we keep up a routine.

I used to be a public school teacher. I think a year round model with several extended breaks throughout the year would work much better. Everyone would get better breaks and not burn out so much!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

We go year round with breaks when we need them. This model works really well for us.
    I think public school year end burn out happens because there are not enough small breaks during the school year. With the exception of teacher workshop days, and an odd single day holiday, kids are going to school with only 4 weeks off in 10 months. Then the have 2-3 months of summer break, during which time they forget a lot of things they learned. The year round model allows kids and teachers to recharge their batteries more often, with less chance of having to relearn something. I just think it is more healthy for everyone involved if the year round schedule is used. That is just my thoughts on it
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I gotta say I agree with everyone else ... We often only go four days per week, and sometimes only 3.5. We slow down during the summer and over winter holidays. If we have a bad day (like today - good grief don't even ask), we just don't even stress it. As they get older, they get more structure ... but I think when they're little, they don't need the hardcore stress. Plenty of time to learn that
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

robyne is offline Junior Member Newbie

can anyone tell me how this program works with year-round home schooling?

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

There's a formula to use ... you divide the number of lessons up by how many days you want to school. If you use the "standard" school schedule, its usually about 180 days, give or take. I divide by 225, the number of days we go to school.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

This is how year round works for us...
    We just work on lessons as they come, we don't "orphan" a quiz or chapter test, so no matter how many lessons are done, my daughter has to go ahead and take the quiz or chapter test, no saving it to the next day, or after the weekend. Sometimes we only work on one subject a day, sometimes we work on all subjects in a day, just depends on whether my child gets on a roll or not. We aim for 4-7 lessons a day, some days we make this, some days we don't, but since we go all year long, it doesn't really matter as long as it all gets done. The reason that it varies from 4-7 is that some lessons just require that you go through them, others require an experiement, or writing a paragraph or doing research, so the more extra activity is required, the less lessons we do in a day.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!