Hows it going?

Thread: Hows it going?

Sandranelson1968 is offline Junior Member

Default Hows it going?

I'm interested in these courses but would like to hear from some parents (particulary of middle school students) that have been thru the courses.

- How much work is it?
    - Do the teachers stay on top of the students or is it automated (like Time4Learning)?
    - Is it hard and does it have impact?

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Three of my children took these courses last year. Two were middle school courses.

The child is assigned a personal, real, live teacher. The teacher grades the student's work and provides helpful comments. There is a function in place where the student can email the teacher if he has questions or needs clarification.

Some of the lessons will only take a couple of minutes. When a writing assignment is given, the time involved will vary greatly according to how your student works. They might be asked to write a few sentences, a paragraph, or a few paragraphs. The longest writing assignment iwe were given was five paragraphs of five sentences each. There are usually a couple of writing assignments a week.

I would not call this "hard". The lessons are offered in small, bite-sized chunks. The student willl have learned a lot at the end of the course, but he learns a little at a time.

It had enough of an effect on my kids that I'm having one of them do another Time4Writing course this winter. I have always thought I could do a good job teaching writing, but my children really loved getting feedback from someone other than their mother. The first thing they wanted to do each morning is look at their writing grades and read the comments from their teacher.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Sandranelson1968 is offline Junior Member

thanks. And I like your icon.