Thinking of signing up middle schooler
    ginamv is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thinking of signing up middle schooler

Hi everyone,

I signed my son up for Time 4 Learning a few days ago and have already found it won't work for him. He just can't quite sit and watch the video part and keeps trying to zip through everything. I've cancelled it already, but am really interested in Time 4 Learning. He's always begging for a real teacher so I know he'll like that aspect of it.

What I am wondering, he's not much of a writer and in public school he rarely completed a writing assignment. Would I put him in the elementary or middle school paragraph writing course? Grammar and mechanics are okay.

He is 12 and 7th grade; has disgraphia, ADD, and auditory processing disorder. He does like keyboarding!

thanks,

Gina

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm familiar with the middle school courses, since several of my children have taken them. I am only familiar with the elementary sentence course, which is very basic, so I've asked for one of the teachers to advise about this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Gina, the middle school Time4Writing teacher tells me there's a diagnostic test in the works, to aid in placement. Until it's ready, she suggests that your son begin with Middle School Mechanics. He can try this course out, risk-free, for a week. If it is too easy, he can move up to Powerful Paragraphs.

I see her point about having a student his age stick with the middle school courses. The elementary course my daughter took was geared to younger children. Although the elementary students love the lessons, a twelve-year-old might find them a little "babyish" for his tastes.

Let us know how it goes!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!