What is Time4Writing?
    rtfl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question What is Time4Writing?

How do I sign up for Time 4 Writing, and what is it? I have a 12 year old in TFL.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 08-26-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling of program

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Writing offers online writing courses for students through twelfth grade. The courses last eight weeks each. Each student is assigned a real, live teacher, who evaluates and grades his or her writing assignments. Many students (my own children included!) have benefited from and enjoyed the personalized teacher feedback.

Time4Learning includes writing exercises, but it's up to the parent to grade them. Writing isn't like other subjects, where there's a teacher key to indicate whether the student's work is "right" or "wrong". Many parents don't feel confident about evaluating their own child's writing, so a program like Time4Writing is a great fit for these families.

Even if you are sure of your own writing skills, you might find (like I did) that your child enjoys getting feedback from someone other than "Mom". Also, it's really hard to be objective when it comes to your own child's work. Most of us either tend to be too critical (out of a desire to teach them "right"), or too lenient (because we don't want to hurt their feelings).

Each eight-week course costs $99. You can sign up at Time4Writing.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I have done T4W with both my boys on different occasions, they both loved it more than working with me on the subject (could be cuz its not my best subject)!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

My oldest son took his first T4W course last year. He's interested in writing creatively and I have absolutely nothing to offer in that regard, lol. Even though the hubs is a writer/editor by profession, he said it's hard to teach because it's just "something I do." We turned to T4W and I was really impressed. Bailey loved being able to do even a small part of his homeschooling without one of his parents. He loved the course and when it was finished, he asked to take another. We'll be signing him up this spring.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

traceym1 is offline Junior Member

Where do we place a 12 year old? I have not done any official writing. I have IEW but just not motivated to do it time wise. Is time 4 writing we need for a writing curriculum? Do I start at middle school level at the beginning with the grammar one I think?

Thanks for help

Blog Entries

Tracey, Time4Writing has a Course Placement Tool to help you decide where to begin. You can switch courses within the first two weeks if you or the teacher think another course would be a better fit.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Annamarie A. is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi. My son is 15. He has been doing T4L for a year now. I'm interested in T4W because my son needs extra help in this subject. He has dyslexia and dysgraphia. Would T4W be right for him?

Blog Entries

Annamarie, it depends on how challenging reading is for your son. While there are a few videos in Time4Writing, the student must read the instructions for each assignment and the teacher will write feedback on his assignment for him to read. The reading material is brief. You might want to take a look at a demo lesson. Choose Time4Writing Demo from the following page, and then choose Log In As Guest. Time4Writing Demo