How to change the way grade reads
    New to HS Guest

Default How to change the way grade reads

Hello, I am a brand new homeschooler, needless to say a little over whelmed and excited to say the least. I have a question about the way T4L does the percent instead of letter grades, is there a way to get letter grades instead of the percentage score?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How to change the way grade reads

Hi! Welcome to both homeschooling AND Time4Learning!

The reports are for parent information. Since there are many ways to calculate a grade, the reports can be used to calculate a grade your own way (or many experienced homeschool parents do not give grades until high school, when they are needed for transcripts. Grades are intended for the teacher to let the parent know how the student is doing. Since a homeschool parent IS the teacher, they aren't really necessary.)

A common way to calculate a letter grade is to add together all the percentage scores in a subject and then divide the total by the number of scores you added together. The reports will do that average for you, but some parents want to leave out certain scores (such as if an activity was attempted more than once). Others only use test scores when calculating a grade.

Once you have an average percentage, it's usually assumed that 90 or above is an A, 80-89 is a B, 70-79 is a C, 60-69 is a D, and below that is an F. There are loads of ideas about how to use pluses and minuses, so you can just Google gradepoint charts and find one you like. Here's one gradepoint chart.

I hope this helps get you started!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!