High School question
    JShields is offline Junior Member

Default High School question

Does anyone use just T4L and nothing else for their high schooler? New to homeschooling...

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: High School question

Hi, and welcome to the forum! I'm not in Virginia, but I thought I'd respond to your post until someone in your area has a chance to pop in.

At the high school level, Time4Learning provides courses in math (for example, Algebra I, Algebra II, geometry, etc.), English, science (biology, chemistry, etc.), and social studies (American history, world history, geography . . . ). There are also some electives: economics, civics, and health.

When homeshcooling a high schooler, the parent decides what the student must do to graduate from the family's home school. The parent decides how many credits they need and it what subjects. Most families look online at various high schools' graduation requirements and model theirs after some of those, making adustments for their own student's interests and goals. Every high school will have different requirements, so there is nothing "magical" about any one schools' requirements, and you have maximum flexibility with your own.

In addition to the basic academic subjects that Time4Learning provides, most parents award their child credit for things like arts and crafts, Scouts, 4H, field trips (family vacations or outings), piano lessons, organized sports or driveway basketball with a sibling, volunteer work or part time jobs, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics. Since YOU decide what equals a credit, you can get creative. Some parents award a credit for a Time4Learning course if the student passes all the tests, even without doing the associated lessons. (Why should they bother if they already now the material?) They might give a driver's ed credit simply because the student passed the testing necessary to receive a driver's license. They might give "life skills" credit for part time work, or applied math credit for helping the parents fill out their tax return (and learning about taxes in the process). These are just some ideas.

With my kids, I kept a calendar with big squares for dates and I just jotted notes on it like, "Practiced piano, thirty minutes, Music" or "fixed family dinner, 45 minutes, Home Ec" or "Jogged from home to park, thirty minutes, P.E." In my home school, I figure a hundred hours equals a credit, but I do give credit for other things like passing Time4Learning tests and driver's ed as described above. Basically, if they have the skill, I consider that a credit earned. So, my daughter who taught herself html with YouTube videos and got her own website up and running certainly deserved a high school computer science credit for that.

Sometime it helps to see what other people are doing, so I hope this information is helpful or inspirational to you. I'd love to hear what you've decided for your own home school!

Remember that all fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma for their own student and employers are not allowed to discriminate against homeschool diplomas. Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know, whether that was public school, private school, home school, or interest driven casual study. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students. When homeschooling, the parent creates, maintains, signs, and stands behind the student's documents, including their diploma and transcript. Time4Learning does provide templates to help you create your child's transcript and diploma within your parent dashboard.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!