Looking for freinds
    Robert Lewis is offline Junior Member

Default Looking for freinds

Hello I've been Homeschooling since Feb..My daughter is looking to make friends.We live in Mechanicsville Va.How do people do that.

hearthstone_academy is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for freinds

Hi, Robert! Welcome to the parent forum!

I'm not in your area, but I can tell you how my own kids made friends. I am very much a "homebody" and realized early on that I would have to stretch myself a bit to make sure my kids had opportunities for friendships.

I kept an open-door/open-fridge policy when it came to friendships. I also wasn't too picky. If there was no illegal activity going on, I didn't feel I had to "like" a particular friend myself to welcome them into my home. Also, the ages weren't very important. One of the great things about homeschooling is that kids don't become "peer dependent" . . . that is, unable to relate to anyone who isn't their same age. My kids have had friends much younger and much older than they.

Now that I've shared my "friendship philosophy", here are some of the places we have met those friends: church and other organizational activities, AYSO soccer, Little League, 4H, Scouts, swimming lessons, volunteer work or part time jobs, art classes at the local art museum, activities at the public library, our local parks and rec, small parts in our community theater, and so forth. Our art museum, public library, and parks and rec, especially, sent us monthly newsletters with all the activities they were offering. We have participated in painting, sculpting, and drawing classes at the art museum . . . kayaking, many sports, and things like wildflower appreciation walks offered by our parks and rec . . . and story time, author visits, and special activities like a reptile handler we went to see at the library. We are a small town, so I assume larger cities have even more. We have a children's museum and a history museum that have both offered special events, too.

Many local newspapers will have a "What's Happening" or similar section where you can keep up on what's available.

The other thing we did was to join a homeschool co-op. If your town doesn't have such a thing, it's easy to start one. Our co-op was simple, because it's more fun if it doesn't become a "job" for anyone. We had around thirty families, and each one was responsible for hosting one activity per school year. They could plan anything they wanted. A sewing mom taught everyone how to make an apron. Close to Valentine's day, another family organized a Valentine swap and party. Of course someone always organized a Christmas party with gift exchange. An artistic mom told everyone to bring markers and watercolors; she provided special paper and taught the kids a really neat watercolor technique. A dad held a bicycle clinic. Many times, the activity was just to meet at the park and play, with the host family bringing a snack.

The host family could require those attending to bring their own supplies, or they could provide anything they wished to provide. Members could pick and choose which activities they wanted to attend.

Generally we met on Fridays at 2:00, but occasionally the host family had to notify everyone that the time would be changed, such as when they had organized a field trip and the business we visited wasn't available for a tour at 2:00. We have visited dentist's offices, fast food restaurants, a newspaper, a fire station, our local trash pick-up and recycling company, and more.

My kids knew they could bring a friend home from any activity, and I made sure I got to know the parents well so they knew I wasn't an axe murderer.

Out of all the things I worried about when beginning to homeschool my kids, "friends" was one of the biggest worries and ended up being the smallest problem.

It can take some effort, though, and your own child's personality makes a difference. Some kids want a large group of casual friends and some are better suited to one close friend . . . or anything inbetween. Any of those are okay. As a homebody myself, I like to have one close friend and two or three people that I'm not particularly close to, but that I might invite if I were having a party. Some of my kids are like that, and others want a houseful of buddies around all the time.

We are all different. This ended up being long, but I hope it gave you a few ideas about how to meet your child's needs.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!