"Almost Done"

Thread: "Almost Done"

Jenn71832 is offline Member Newbie

Default "Almost Done"

I am just sitting here thinking about my daughter. She has been calling me and telling me that she is "almost done" for the past two months. At first I was thinking, "What? Almost done? Like a turkey? What?!?"

I finally figured out that she meant her 18th birthday was approaching and she was "almost done" being a kid. My husband's response to that was, "No, Honey. I'm almost done. You're just getting started." Maree was not amused. My husband, on the other hand, was highly amused.

Her birthday is today, so I guess now she is done, instead of almost done. My youngest has a birthday this month as well, but he is turning 8. He has a ways to go before being done.

I guess it started me thinking about being done. I mean, really, in a way she is done. Done being a kid, done having people assume that she is in high school and should have her daytime hours accounted for, done being unable to legally work a full time job.

She is also done thinking of herself as a child and your perception of yourself influences your reality quite a bit. It makes me wonder how being "done" will change the decisions and choices that she makes in upcoming months.

It also makes me think about being "done" in a different way. It is kind of odd having one of my children turn into an adult, legally at least. I am thinking about what I will do when they are all "done". I have been mostly a stay at home mom for a very long time now.

Have any of you ever thought about what you will do when your kids are all "done"? Will you go back to school? Go back to work? Be a full time grandma? Volunteer?

I am thinking about going back to school now. If I attend part time, I will be done at just about the same time that my youngest is "done". I can't imagine myself staying home all day without my kids. I get bored too easily. But at the same time, I don't want to cheat them now and going back to school is a big commitment.

Anybody want to share your plans for after the kids are "done"? I could use some perspective this month, especially from those who have been there or are there now.
    Jenn71832

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Re: "Almost Done"

@ your comment!

I am planning to go back to school, but I won't be done for quite some time. My youngest will turn 18 in 15 years, but with his special needs, I don't know what legally becomming an adult will mean.
    Melissa.

denimay is offline Senior Member

I'm so OLD that when my 8yr-old is "done" his first adult "job" will be taking care of his REALLY OLD MAMA!!!!!!!! It's okay though, he's latino and he won't think he's "odd" for living with mom or bringing his "wife" (NOT until he's 30+) to live with mama....until she's dead....though, frankly, if he doesn't get married until he's 30+ I'll prob'ly BE dead already!!!! So prob'ly no grandchildren for ME.........on the other hand, I thought I'd long passed the age where I'd ever have any children...and God sent me Ale........plus the women in my family live a really long time (average is about 93) so if he works fast....I MIGHT have grandchild...........maybe by the time I'm 90 I'll be READY to be a "grandma!".......right now I'm having too much fun bein' a MOM!!!.....deni.....
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Let's see . . . when my last goes off to college, I will have just turned 45. So hypothetically, it'll be right on schedule for my mid-life crisis!
    Melissa.

Well, now that I am preparing myself for a midlife crisis....

Just kidding. Really though, I will be almost 45 when my baby is "done", so I suppose I might have my midlife crisis then. Hmm... Maybe that's a good argument for going to school. I will be too busy to have a midlife crisis.

I started young so in theory, I will be the youngest grandma I know. I was always the youngest mom at playgroups and classes when my daughter was little. On the other hand, my dad was 55 when I was born so I totally appreciate the older parent perspective as well.

Okay, now I am even more nervous. Thanks, I think...
    Jenn71832

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

Jenn, your "done" post really made me laugh. And more. Part of it is my Dad, about a decade ago, used the word "done" talking about his life and himself. It was a positive happy chat. He was 74 at the time. He made it almost a year longer.
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Funny you are all talking about this subject. I was 37 when I got pregnant with my surprise child, lol. She ask me this morning why I'm not young like I was when I had her sisters. I was only 20 when I had my first baby, and 25 when I had my second. So there are a Few years between them . It wasn't the way I had planned but it's not always up to us. My youngest is only 8 1/2 so I guess I am old to her. That's ok one day she will appreciate my wisdom!

Cindy

Cindy,

One great thing about having an older parent was that it changed my perspective about age. A lot of people my age are starting to feel old, but for me I always defined old by my dad. If you were younger than my dad, then you were young.

Since he was well into his 50's by the time I could remember anything, I figure I have a long ways to go before I hit old. And I am fine with that.

John,

I am glad that I could bring back happy memories for you. I lost my dad 3 years ago. I miss him a lot, but he too was "done". He was tired of fighting an old body that wouldn't do what he asked it to anymore. It makes it easier, I think, to know that they were ready to move on.

On a happier note... Always glad to make someone laugh!
    Jenn71832