Deadline to file Declaration of Intent
    Jenn71832 is offline Member Newbie

Default Deadline to file Declaration of Intent

Just a reminder to everyone that the deadline for filing your Declaration of Intent to Homeschool is quickly approaching. This is from the RCW (Revised Code of Washington):

RCW 28A.200.010
    Home-based instruction -- Duties of parents.

Each parent whose child is receiving home-based instruction under RCW 28A.225.010(4)shall have the duty to:

(1) File annually a signed declaration of intent that he or she is planning to cause his or her child to receive home-based instruction. The statement shall include the name and age of the child, shall specify whether a certificated person will be supervising the instruction, and shall be written in a format prescribed by the superintendent of public instruction. Each parent shall file the statement by September 15 of the school year or within two weeks of the beginning of any public school quarter, trimester, or semester with the superintendent of the public school district within which the parent resides or the district that accepts the transfer, and the student shall be deemed a transfer student of the nonresident district. Parents may apply for transfer under RCW 28A.225.220;
    Jenn71832

seashell is offline Member Regular

Default Re: Deadline to file Declaration of Intent

I downloaded the WHO's DOI yesterday and filled it out, crossing out the parts which aren't true (my DD is 7, not 8, so I crossed out where it said I was declaring that my child was between 8 and 18), signed it, and stuck it in my purse to use as "proof of homeschooling" for discounts (I'm considering getting a membership to the children's museum in Seattle, which offers an educator discount that includes homeschoolers, must show DOI). My DD turns 8 in November, so I'm going to file a real DOI with our district superintendent then (as near as I can figure, there is a new quarter that begins mid-November, so by my reading that will satisfy the law appropriately), and then annually in September starting in 2010.

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

You can also get a discount at Staples and Barnes & Noble with your DOI.
    Melissa.

seashell is offline Member Regular

I forgot about Staples! I have a Barnes&Noble educator discount card (20%. LOVE that card very much thank you!).

Also have the 15% teacher discount at Joann Fabrics (you have to go through peah.org, but don't have to pay for a PEAH membership for it).

99momof1 is offline Junior Member

We just moved to Washington in mid September and I have not filed a NOI yet. Technically we were, are, still residents of our old state since we still own our house there and the cars are still registered there, etc so I didn't feel a huge rush about it while we had dual citizenship, so to speak. Do you think I should file one in January, or just wait until next fall to bother with it?
    Melyssa, mom to Brenna age 10, using T4L 4th Soc./5th Lang. & Sci./6th math

Jenn71832 is offline Member Newbie

I would recommend that you file it in January. Then you will be covered if anyone in your new neighborhood is concerned about your daughter being out of school. Very few families in WA really have a lot of trouble with the school districts because we have a good homeschooling law but the declaration does kind of help cover you in case there is any sort of problem.

Also many businesses will accept a copy of your declaration to prove that you qualify for an educator's discount. It is always worth asking about!
    Jenn71832