Field Trips in WA
    SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Field Trips in WA

What are some of your favorite field trips and things to do around here?

So far, we have liked going to Point Defiance in Tacoma and the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. We haven't really done much else over there. I think it would be fun to go ot the capital sometime too.
    Melissa.

seashell is offline Member Regular

Default Re: Field Trips in WA

We just got a group of 10 kids together and did a tour of one of the King County wastewater treatment plants. It was interesting/stinky/fun! Also, totally free, and very accommodating.

Everyone should do a tour of a treatment plant at some point in their lives- I'd never been.

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

We love Point Defiance also. They have worksheets online that you can print out and take with you. DS did not like this but my niece(who is not home schooled she just loves school) loved the worksheets. We have done the Science Center but it almost cost more to park in Seattle now as it does to get into the center, yuck. I miss the free street parking. It saved my budget when I was a single mom struggling to be able to do fun stuff with my son. My son wants to go to the glass museum in Tacoma and I was thinking of maybe doing the Flight Museum at Boeing Field. I would love to do the Salmon Hatchery this fall and am looking for parents who want to get together to do this. They do free tours for groups of 10 or more in the morning/noon times. If we can't find more people( though from what I read I think we can join a group if one is already scheduled) they do hold tours for smaller groups in the afternoon one day a week and its just open on the weekend but no tour guide.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

Jenn71832 is offline Member Newbie

Well, we are from the other side of the state, but we used to live in Port Angeles and my kids favorite thing over there is the Olympic Game Farm in Sequim. It is definitely a one of a kind experience. You get to hand feed buffalo, elk, fallow deer, grizzly bears, zebras, etc. We also love the Hoh rainforest and the beaches near Kalaloch.

Over here one of our favorite field trips has been to the Discovery Center, which is based out of one of our local schools. They are a wildlife rehabilatation facility so they have many recovering birds of prey that have been wounded. They also teach the kids about estuaries and salmon lifecycles and let them dissect owl pellets.
    Jenn71832

We went back to PD today and took the 5 mile drive. There were two little raccoons that came right up to the car! We had a great time. Later this month we are hoping to go down to Northwest Trek. Anyone been?
    Melissa.

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Northwest Trek is lots of fun. We have been a few times. Its a really pretty area.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

jkrogstadt is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi There, I am going to be home schooling my son this year and would definitely be interested in the salmon hatchery trip. My son and I were talking about it and it sounds like fun. My husband has been and so has some of his other HS friends. Let me know when you have enough people. Mondays is our field trip day.

Jessica and Luke

Hi, Jessica, welcome to T4L! I hope to hear more about your family and your homeschooling adventures. This is our second year homeschooling, so we're still pretty new to it as well. There are many new homeschoolers as well as veterans on T4L.
    Melissa.

99momof1 is offline Junior Member

We live in the Bothell/Mill Creek area, just south of Everett. Seattle and beyond is a huge trek for me to make but I'd consider it for certain activities. I'd love to find great field trip ideas for south Snohomish county around Bothell/Lynnwood/Everett. We just moved here so I'm not at all familiar with everything the area has to offer. As soon as it warms up though my daughter wants to visit the lighthouse in Mukilteo and take a ferry ride.
    Melyssa, mom to Brenna age 10, using T4L 4th Soc./5th Lang. & Sci./6th math

Buildingblocks Guest

Money has been tight around here lately, so taking four kids to the zoo, etc, is just not in the budget. We have discovered geocaching (geocaching.com) and it has been great exercise as well as showing us places we would have never seen before. We are casually working on learning flora and fauna, geology, local geography... it goes on. One type of geocache that we are starting to explore now that the kids are older are called earth caches, where you are shown an example of a geological feature and given a lesson on it. what is an earthcache (link)