Holidays and Homeschooling

View Poll Results: Have you finished your Holiday shopping?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Totally finished!

0 0%
  • I still have a few things to buy.

2 66.67%
  • I am about halfway done.

1 33.33%
  • I have barely started.

0 0%
  • I haven't even thought about shopping yet!

0 0%
  • Yeah, right... People actually finish this early?

0 0%
    Jenn71832 is offline Member Newbie

Default Holidays and Homeschooling

I am wondering how all of you manage the Holiday season (whichever holiday your family celebrates)? If you have any traditions or plans you would like to share, I would love to hear them.

Every December I seem to struggle with the decision of when to stop doing "regular school" with the kids and just let them make gifts and cards and have a break. :-\

I am thinking that we will probably finish up this next week and then hide the books for a few weeks. \/ Unfortunately, I have one son who will forget at least 5 weeks worth of math lessons if he has a two week break. I need to find a way to keep him from forgetting while still allowing him to feel like he is getting the same break his brothers have.

During our break we will have the kids make their own Christmas cards and make some decorations for the house and the tree. They will help with baking. They will choose an amount of their own money to use for Toys for Tots, we will match it, and then we will shop for gifts to donate. We still need to choose a volunteering project for them this year.

I am thinking about having my 7th grader map the best Christmas light displays and plot a route to go look at them (the local new station posts a list). He loves computer research and making lists and graphs so I think he will enjoy that job.

Last year we had barely finished shopping on Christmas Eve. It was very stressfull and I promised myself I would never do that again. We are doing much better so far this year. I have almost finished shopping and the tree and decorations have been up for a while now so I am really looking forward to having that break!
    Jenn71832

99momof1 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Holidays and Homeschooling

Since we just moved not long ago I am taking it very easy on myself this year. We're still unpacking and organizing. I did decorate for the holidays but there won't be any extra holiday based projects or crafts this year, or much baking, etc. We'll just have to make up for it next year. I also did 99% of my holiday shopping online so that was easy.
    Melyssa, mom to Brenna age 10, using T4L 4th Soc./5th Lang. & Sci./6th math