New to Homeschooling - Help!
    ChrisseyP is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschooling - Help!

My husband and I pulled our 9-year-old daughter out of public school in October because of some really bad experiences. We spent the first couple months just learning how to relax and be happy again. I hadn't realized just how miserable she was until we got her out of the situation.

So, here we are six months later. We've settled into a little routine and seem to be doing OK with the school work. She still struggles with math but we've been dealing with that problem since she was in kindergarten.

The big thing we're having to work around is boredom. She's an only child so during the day when the neighborhood kids are in school, she has no one to play with. We've tried finding other homeschool families to do things with but I'm not having much luck. Most we've been able to locate are kindergarten and pre-school age. My daughter is just not interested in doing things with those kids. She's not interested in sports or dancing. She does want to learn to play the piano so we're getting that all set up but, again, it's a solo thing. She came up to me a few days ago and said "Mom, I'm lonely." Just broke my heart. I try to take her places and do things with her but I can only do so much. And, she wants to be around kids sometimes, not just mom.

So, any suggestions? Does anyone know of a homeschool group with kids in the 8, 9, 10 year old range? We are in Puyallup. I don't mind driving a little ways but I don't want to go into Tacoma.

Thanks!!

mcmary is offline Member

Chrissey,

I wonder if the WHO (Washington Homeschoolers Organization- I think that's what it stands for) has contact lists for homeschooling groups? Homeschooling is very very popular where we live- in fact, our school district has a homeschooling program. Does Puyallup have anything similar? Ours offers many enrichment courses at our high school campus (for all ages of kids). How about a drama or choir? You could also contact the parks dept for lists of their youth classes. These would be offered after school and on weekends but would still be some social activities to look forward to and provide an opportunity to make new friends. Good luck! It sounds as if homeschooling is the right decision for your family.

HowardHerd Guest

Default Homeschooling in Puyallup

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisseyP View Post
    My husband and I pulled our 9-year-old daughter out of public school in October because of some really bad experiences. We spent the first couple months just learning how to relax and be happy again. I hadn't realized just how miserable she was until we got her out of the situation.

So, any suggestions? Does anyone know of a homeschool group with kids in the 8, 9, 10 year old range? We are in Puyallup. I don't mind driving a little ways but I don't want to go into Tacoma.

Thanks!!
    My 7 and 9 year old homeschoolers are in South Hill, and we LOVE participating in the Puyallup YMCA's Homeschool PE classes 2 hours every Tuesday/Thursday (or Monday/Wednesday.) My sons swim for an hour and get EXCELLENT instruction, then they play baseball, do PE, or learn other games. The instructors and peer group stay the same and my sons have made great friends. We are new homeschoolers, and they had been lonely, but with this group that we joined in April , they look forward to seeing their buddies in class. Some virtual academies will even reimburse you for your membership fees.
    We'd also be game for getting together if you're up for it! We really enjoy the local parks.
    ~Becky

Unregistered Guest

Cool meetup.com

I homeschool 3, 5 and 7. I have joined meetup.com homeschool mamas there are tons of groups. I am actually in a group for puyallup homeschoolers.

you can email me [email protected]