Seton Testing for Homeschool Testing in WA State
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Unregistered Guest

    Default Seton Testing for Homeschool Testing in WA State

    Does WA State allow the CAT-5 used with Seton Testing Services in VA? We ordered it this year and I was just wondering if it will be appropriate for the testing requirement in WA state. I didn't see anything about Seton on the WHO website. Also can I administer the test myself and turn it in to Seton for grading or do I have to have a public school teacher give the test for me?

  2. #2
    Unregistered Guest


    Did you ever get an answer for this? I was just trying to figure out the same thing.

  3. #3
    Unregistered Guest

    Default Seton Testing

    We just moved to WA from VA. In VA using Seton was fine for showing that the children were gaining knowledge each year. But if I'm reading the WA laws correctly I don't think I can use them here. It states that the testing must be preformed by an approved person. I'm assuming that this means that it can't be us as parents it has to be someone approved by WA to administer the test. Let me know if you find out a definite answer because I'd like to know for sure.

  4. #4

    Smile Might Help

    Finding answers for washington state can be hard. I have been homeschooling my 3 kids for afew years now, we have been using Time4Learning for 2 years. My sister in law is old school and does all of her homeschooling on her own. She now has her 13 yr old starting high school and uses the CAT testing for her own records. I will be starting my kids on the CAT tests this yr since my oldest is ending the 4th grade. I am only testing for my own records. It states in the Washington Law that neither standardized nor evaluation tests need to be submitted to public schools. The results must be retained by the parents as part of the childs permanent recored. In my view since the tests will be sent in and graded by an official it stands. I will be administering the test myself then send it in to be graded.

  5. #5
    Robin's Avatar
    Robin is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006


    Washington law states:
    Standardized testing - a standardized achievement test approved by the State Board of Education is administered annually to the child by a qualified individual.

    I'd say the parent is more than qualified.

  6. #6
    Unregistered Guest


    According to this file, on the state board of education website:

    Any test that has been evaluated by Buros Institute is acceptable, and you can find what tests those are here:
    Buros Center for Testing | University of Nebraska

    As well, and in particular, the CAT/5 is on an example list in that SBE document as being acceptable. A "qualified individual" is someone the test publisher has deemed qualified, and in the case of the CAT/5, that includes parents.

  7. #7
    Homestyle Guest


    To my knowledge, this type of test can sent in. We do testing every year with a certified teacher--you can find many through the who website. Are you in the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area? Center For Neurological Deevlopment in Lakewood is wonderful! They can give standardized or non test assessments, both are acceptable for the state of WA.

  8. #8
    Unregistered Guest

    Red face SetonTesting

    Just wanted to let you know that what I read a parent can administer the test. If the publisher of the test sees the parent as qualified to administer the test which is the case with Riverside Publishing with the IOWA and McGraw HIll with the CAT and Terraova and the law does not specifically state who the qualified person needs to be then I think you are good. Also, if anyone wants to know, Seton is now offering the IOWA and the TerraNova as well. Check them out at Home - Seton Testing Services. Good luck!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts