Thoughts on Online Schools
    seattleboots is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thoughts on Online Schools

Hello everyone! I wanted to gather some feedback on online schools. My son is currently in high school, but is having issues being in a public setting. So our thought is for the next year we going to try online schools (since these schools are tuition-free), but just like buying a new car, we wanted to do a test drive. I was looking around to see if their any schools that would allow a student to take a few classes but still be enrolled in their school, but unfortunately you had to be enrolled as a full time student for the online school in order to take the classes. Then yesterday I get a call from my son's computer camp he attend a few years back, they called to let me know that they now offer technology courses for high school credit. I found this as a blessing in disguise, because now we can try online classes without pulling my son out of his school, and we can also see if this is going to be a good fit. Anyways I wanted to get some feedback and also share the options of taking technology courses with all of you their website is http://www.giantcampuswa.com.

Jenn71832 is offline Member Newbie

Default Re: Thoughts on Online Schools

This looks very interesting. It is convenient that you can take a few classes without changing your enrollment status and it looks like it may be a good fit for your family and your situation this year.

Since you are already enrolled in a public school you shouldn't have any issues with this but, just to be sure that others who may be interested understand it, I would like to clarify that by enrolling in this program as an ALE you are consenting to be enrolled in a public school. If your status is a 1.0 FTE, then you are considered a full time public school student no matter how many classes you are actually taking.

For your family I believe that it would be a part time enrollment in each school.

It is too bad that the online schools will not let you have a free trial. That would help many people who are struggling with those types of decisions.

Let us know how it works out for you guys and if your son enjoys the classes!
    Jenn71832

seattleboots is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Thoughts on Online Schools

Thank for information Jenn71832. My son is officially enrolled into the ALE program. I will let you guys know how everything works out.

LearningCoach2012 is offline Junior Member

Anitabath011

I don't know where your information is coming from ("according to me") but we love the online school that we are participating in. We went from public school that failed to accommodate my child's needs to teaching at home in a modified environment that has expanded my daughter's learning capacity. We spent a year with K12 Washington Virtual Academies and we are currently PT K12 and PT homeschool through a local parent partnership program.

Its true that many of the test scores will show lower than public school...why? Because Online Schools like the K12.com programs accept students who are BEHIND due to FAILURE of public schools to properly educate them; kids that were BULLIED and failing classes because of the emotional trauma; and GiFTED because they were bored in Brick & Mortar Schools (B&M) and were pushed along each grade....

K12 and other online programs help students find individuality and the learning style that works for them. They are able to take the curriculum and learn it in the way they need to...they can go fast or slow with the lessons; flexible hours, supplementing is encouraged....

My 13 yr old is still a little under a year behind and therefore will most likely NOT pass the state tests in her weak areas. Does that mean that K12 is a bad program? NOT AT ALL. It means that she has improved and is working towards her goal of getting caught up so she only has to be delayed from H.S. for 1 year and not 2.

Get your facts first, ask questions on sites like K12.Inc Facebook page rather than making assumptions about what a NEW idea like Online Learning is all about. Narrow mindedness is what caused Homeschoolers to have to fight for the right to educate their own kids. Homeschoolers shouldn't be narrow-minded in accepting other forms of schooling otherwise they are no different!