1st grader (girl) needs friends in/near Fairmont (Marion Co.)
    DruryFamily is offline Junior Member

Default 1st grader (girl) needs friends in/near Fairmont (Marion Co.)

Monkey is 7, in 1st grade. We pulled her from public school after months of issues involving hyperactivity and tendency to get distracted. We honestly haven't even focused that heavily on schoolwork as yet, instead allowing her to choose learning activities and learn by experience; soon, we'll begin making sure we have enough physical evidence of her learning to put together her portfolio.

The issue we are having is with social interaction. We had grand ideas of how we would be accomplishing this, and they have fallen to the wayside in favor of reality. We considered joining local groups (I joined the Yahoo group for one, and still have the paperwork for the other somewhere around here), but discovered problems with attempting to meet up and take part in said groups.

Hubby and I share a vehicle, work in Morgantown, and have alternating work schedules. This means that meeting other people has to fit in our time off. Right now, time off is on Saturdays. Soon, we will alternate work days, rather than both working most days just different schedules. At that time, we will have mornings free on M-F, with the worker of the day needing to leave for work no later than 1:45pm.

What we need/prefer is:
    - close to home. We drive 400 miles/wk for work, soon to be 280/wk. We can drive to Morgantown to meet up, if we limit it to 1x/wk even after schedule changes.
    - cheap location. Disposable income is hard to come by, so meeting somewhere that has an entrance fee or expensive food would have to be very, very rare. Burger King is okay on a weekly basis until the weather allows for park/playground picnics.
    - non-religious. I don't have problems with faith-based training, but we don't do it and I'd rather playtime not be focused on that.
    - steady. She has met plenty of kids since leaving the public school system, but I don't think she's ever played with any of them more than once. She wants actual friends, and the best way I can think of to help that along is by having weekly interaction.

Being the same age honestly does not matter to me. She tends to play well with kids of all ages, but same general age range would be optimal. Her sister turned 2 in December, but younger siblings are not necessary. The baby plays just fine, regardless of who else is around.
    Nikole ~ lucky wife of Hubby; proud mom of Tiger, Monkey, and Goose.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

There is a great amount of secular support group listings on this site, and if you can't find one that is close enough then I would suggest going on their FB page or forum and asking the members! They have always help me find resources. Also T4L has a FB page where you may find more info!! but they tend to include many faith based groups. hope this helps!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

tj539 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I don't know if this would be of any help but...

If you are home schooling your child then I do believe (I could be wrong because it seems like they change things on a daily basis) you are allowed to pick a so called home school for your child which allows her to participate in the activities of that school. Such as sports and I think even field trips and possibly tutors. If she had trouble at the school she was attending, with the children and/or sometimes a teacher that doesn't want to understand how ADHD children's minds work then choose another school. Hope I have been some help.
    Something that a lot of people do not know is that for children that are hyperactive should not have ketchup, it has red food dye in it (#40) which cause children that are hyper and/or have ADHD to climb the walls So it best to stay away from anything that has red #40 and the yellow food dye also in it which is also in kool aids even the ones you add sugar to check all labels.
    I babysat this boy since he was 1 until he was 10 and he is a neighbor and is still here every other day or so to visit, and he has ADHD really bad and it is almost a daily thing for him to be in trouble at school. And his grades are horrible, but I know he is very intelligent child and could do the work very easily.
    Like I said I do have a 4 year old, she turns 5 in April, she is an outgoing person and loves to play and loves Burger King. So I would be up for doing the play dates if you don't mind a younger child. I think that she is borderline ADHD because she is hyper also and easily distracted.
    I live in downtown Fairmont close to the library. We have a swingset and a playhouse for her to play on. and we go over to the playground that is on the new road out of town to play she loves it there. As you said money is tight nowadays so BK and Little Caesars $5.00 pizzas are great we buy them and go to the park eat then play.
    Like I said I hope I have been some help.
    My e-mail is [email protected] if you have any questions about ADHD I'll be glad to try to help.

Quote Originally Posted by DruryFamily View Post
    Monkey is 7, in 1st grade. We pulled her from public school after months of issues involving hyperactivity and tendency to get distracted. We honestly haven't even focused that heavily on schoolwork as yet, instead allowing her to choose learning activities and learn by experience; soon, we'll begin making sure we have enough physical evidence of her learning to put together her portfolio.

The issue we are having is with social interaction. We had grand ideas of how we would be accomplishing this, and they have fallen to the wayside in favor of reality. We considered joining local groups (I joined the Yahoo group for one, and still have the paperwork for the other somewhere around here), but discovered problems with attempting to meet up and take part in said groups.

Hubby and I share a vehicle, work in Morgantown, and have alternating work schedules. This means that meeting other people has to fit in our time off. Right now, time off is on Saturdays. Soon, we will alternate work days, rather than both working most days just different schedules. At that time, we will have mornings free on M-F, with the worker of the day needing to leave for work no later than 1:45pm.

What we need/prefer is:
    - close to home. We drive 400 miles/wk for work, soon to be 280/wk. We can drive to Morgantown to meet up, if we limit it to 1x/wk even after schedule changes.
    - cheap location. Disposable income is hard to come by, so meeting somewhere that has an entrance fee or expensive food would have to be very, very rare. Burger King is okay on a weekly basis until the weather allows for park/playground picnics.
    - non-religious. I don't have problems with faith-based training, but we don't do it and I'd rather playtime not be focused on that.
    - steady. She has met plenty of kids since leaving the public school system, but I don't think she's ever played with any of them more than once. She wants actual friends, and the best way I can think of to help that along is by having weekly interaction.

Being the same age honestly does not matter to me. She tends to play well with kids of all ages, but same general age range would be optimal. Her sister turned 2 in December, but younger siblings are not necessary. The baby plays just fine, regardless of who else is around.

JustaMamma Guest

Default new homeschool group

after the first of the year, there will a new weekly homeschool group starting at the YMCA in Clarksburg. it will include gym/sport/fitness, pool/swimming, and arts/crafts/language/enrichment. i am not sure about the cost, but since the Y is income based, you can apply for membership assistance. in addition to this group, they have a lot of other great programs for kids, including kids fitness, parent/child sign language (for younger ones), karate, swim lessons & swim team, etc. it really is a great, low cost, place for homeschooled kids (and their parents) to socialize!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a fun program.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota