Considering homeschooling! PLEASE..really need info!
    dianel62 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Considering homeschooling! PLEASE..really need info!

My grandson will be going into 7th grade next year, 2013-2014and due to several reasons he wants me to homschool him. He is a straight A student, is in advanced math and doing very well.I only completed my 10th year of high school and dropped out. In order to homeschool a child going into 7th grade, do you have to have a 12 year education? Cause if you do, theres no need for me to proceed any further. I really hope someone can help me out with this info....Thanks in advance.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The good news is that in West Virginia there is no requirement for the parents who homeschool a child. So I see no reason why you could not successfully homeschool your grandson. Here is a link to the state law. Please let us know if we can help in any way as you begin this journey. I don't know if you have heard but Time4Learning has just released it''s brand new high school curriculum. That might be a good place to begin your search for ways to homeschool your grandson.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

WVMommy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Ummm, actually, there are requirements for homeschooling in WV. The link you provided is out of date. The West Virginia State code requires that parents must provide a copy of a high school diploma or the equivalent. WV Code 1 It is listed in WV Code 18-8-1 (2)b. I have noticed that you have posted that same thing over and over on several threads and I feel that correct information should be given out. I would not trust other links that are not straight from the legislative websites, as they are most likely inaccurate.

Miguel'smom is offline Member
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry I am late. Depending on your county you'll have more or less issues. there are 2 options

“Approval Option:” -You have to get approved by your county board of education. The board has to approves what subjects have to be taught, where 'home school' will be and the person teaching the child. They have to have a reasonable 'justification'
    Parents under approval have to: have to provide about 840 hrs over 180 days; keep records of attendance, instruction and progress (Time 4 learning does all of this).

“Notice Option" (no subject, time requirement)

The parent has to provide: a high school diploma/equivalent;a letter including the child's name, address, age and grade; an outline of instruction (I don't believe they can ask for this anymore. For my outline I simply put "Miguel will be using time4learning this year for all subjects.") and a standardized test or portfolio review,usually about $30

The standardized test/ portfolio has to contain: reading, language, mathematics, science and social studies;
    Everyone I know uses the notice option but you may have to use the approval option. Call your county WVHEA or CHEWV representative for more help.

Blog Entries

Thanks for letting me know about that WVMommy. I try to make sure the information I send out is correct and up to date. Anne Zeise is a reliable source of information. Her website states, "Note: I received news on April 8, 2003 that the parental education requirement has been permanently eliminated via SB 206. This has been confirmed by an WVHEA representative."

Please be assured that I will check into this further.
    Last edited by fairylover; 09-08-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Blog Entries

I want to apologize to WVMommy and to Dianel62. Apparently SB206 was never signed into law. At this time at least one parent in the home must have a high school diploma or equivalency. I hope this clears up this matter.

Miguel'smom is offline Member
    Blog Entries

WV is always having home school rules being revised. So every year we really have to check.

Blog Entries

You know what they say, "The only thing that is constant is change."