Fun Facts

Thread: Fun Facts

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Fun Facts

I thought it would be fun to have a thread on Fun Facts about West Virginia. I'll go first.

Did you know West Virginia is the only state that became a state by presidential proclamation, and the only one formed during the Civil War?

Now it's your turn. What fun fact do you have to share with us. Let's see how long we can make this thread.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Charles Town, in Jefferson County, was where slave abolitionist John Brown was convicted of treason, conspiracy and murder following his raid on Harpers Ferry, also in Jefferson County.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Lightbulb This is a great thread.

I'm not sure why this thread ended. I think it's time to restart it. I'm not a native West Virginian (Mountaineer). I'm originally from Connecticut. I came to West Virginia in early 2007 and landed in Ravenswood. So this fact was a great local history starter for my 14yr old daughter.

A naval battle was fought in West Virginia waters during the Civil War. Our United States Navy had armored steamers actively engaged in the Battle of Buffington Island near Ravenswood on July 19, 1863

I hope to see this thread continue. I'm new to homeschooling and t4l and hope to find lots of support and ideas to help in educating my high school freshman.