Homeschooling Laws and Helpful Hints
    pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Homeschooling Laws and Helpful Hints

I just wanted to start a thread that we could all post helpful info about homeschooling in WV. So if you know of a site or info please post it below
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Blog Entries

Default From http://www.theapplepeel.org/faq.html

Homeschooling Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is homeschooling legal?
    2. How many hours a day must I teach my child?
    3. How expensive is homeschooling?
    4. Am I qualified to homeschool?
    5. What can I say to friends and family who are concerned about homeschooling?
    6. How will I know if my child is learning?
    7. What if I don't know how to teach a subject?
    8. What about getting into college?
    9. What if my child is already enrolled in public school?
    10. What about socialization?

1. Is homeschooling legal?
    Homeschooling is legal everywhere in the United States, but homeschooling laws vary from state to state. The best way to find out what Virginia State laws have to say about homeschooling is to check out www.VAHomeschoolers.org or www.hslda.org. You do NOT have to have to have a membership with VAHomeschoolers or HSLDA to be a homeschooler. This is simply for your information. They are up to date with the laws for homeschooling in Virginia. Here is a website for finding West Virginia’s law requirements:www.wvhea.org.

2. How many hours a day must I teach my child?
    It does not take six to eight hours a day to homeschool your child. Design a plan that works for your family and be prepared to scratch it several times and start over. There are many ways families homeschool; find what works for you and your family. Most of the time that children spend at school consists of waiting and changing classes. Don’t worry if everything you planned doesn’t get done in one day. Homeschooling is flexible!

3. How expensive is homeschooling?
    It is only as expensive as your family wants to make it. Some parents spend thousands of dollars a year investing in complete “school in a box”. Other families pay almost nothing by using the library and everyday activities like cooking, gardening or a home business as the foundation of instruction, especially in the elementary years. Homeschooling materials have come a long way in the past few years. Our options now extend beyond private school curricula and used textbooks. Packaged curriculum can cost a few dollars to many hundreds of dollars. Used products are often available at used curriculum sales, online or from other homeschool families. There are plenty of free online resources that homeschoolers have at their fingertips if they have a computer with internet access. There are many options and resources available if you just look around!

4. Am I qualified to homeschool?
    You are qualified to homeschool your children if you love to read to them, love to spend time with them, love to explore the world with them, love to see them learn new things and, most important, love them. A half century of educational research has indicated a total lack of any significant relationship between the teacher's certificate and the pupil's achievement. The evidence is in; families from all walks of life and all educational backgrounds are homeschooling successfully!

5. What can I say to friends and family who are concerned about homeschooling?
    Are your friends and family unhappy about your decision? Try to find out why. Their defensiveness might stem from the belief that your choice to homeschool is an unspoken criticism of their decision not to do so. Focus on your positive reasons for homeschooling, and emphasize the individuality of your choice. Consider also that their criticism might stem from loving concern. Caring friends and family want the best for your children, just as you do.

6. How will I know if my child is learning?
    Children love to learn. It is as natural to them as breathing. They have an inborn hunger to explore the world and examine what is interesting and absorb new information like a sponge. They learn by following their interests, with one interest leading to another. This is the way we all learned as younger children and how as adults we learn after we leave school. Homeschooling families learn together and know that learning is a life-long process. Virginia requires yearly evaluations to show proof of progress. Contact us at[email protected] for more information on testing requirements for Virginia and West Virginia.

7. What if I don't know how to teach a subject?
    You will not have to teach higher-level academics unless you really want to. It is not necessary to teach pre-algebra, biology, or chemistry to ten year olds. When your teen decides to become a scientist or is ready to explore the requirements of college admission, together you will explore the ways they can learn the necessary higher-level academics. A community college class, online tutorials or textbooks are just a few of the options available. Parents often serve as facilitators, helping the child to find the resources necessary for learning. There are many creative ways to tackle unfamiliar or difficult subjects. There are companies specializing in outstanding learning materials for homeschoolers. Some homeschoolers collaborate with other families. Another parent might have the strength you lack or you can jointly hire a tutor. Some use community resources—people, programs, and places. You can always jump in alongside your children and learn with them. What a great life lesson for kids if they learn that learning is lifelong.

8. What about getting into college?
    A growing number of colleges and universities around the United States are admitting homeschoolers including prestigious universities like Harvard and Yale. Most of Virginia’s Community Colleges actively register homeschoolers and allow your homeschooler to enroll as young as 16! The bottom line is that, if a homeschooler wants to pursue post-secondary education, they can certainly do so and do so within some of the finest universities.

9. What if my child is already enrolled in public school?
    Whether you are moving to Virginia from out of state or you have made the decision to start homeschooling after the school year has begun, you may begin homeschooling at any time. According to the Home Instruction Statute (§22.1-254.1 B) "any parent who moves into a school division or begins home instruction after the school year has begun shall notify the division superintendent of his intention to provide home instruction as soon as practicable and shall thereafter comply with the requirements of this section within 30 days of such notice."

10. What about socialization?
    This is probably the most commonly voiced concern about homeschooling. There are plenty of opportunities for homeschoolers to socialize. There are homeschool support groups, community activities like sports or scouts, specialty classes in music, and after-school play with public schooled friends. Because they have continual interaction and modeling from adults, homeschooled children are less peer-dependent and more comfortable with all age groups than their public school counterparts. The homeschool social world is generally less influenced from the worrisome influences of drugs, gangs, sexual pressures, and violence.

The Winchester Area Homeschoolers Association is a very active, social group of homeschoolers. With monthly field trips, parties, activities and co-ops (coming soon!), we are dedicated to providing you and your family with the socialization you need.
    pandahoneybee

Unregistered Guest

Question WV or VA?

Your initial post states WV. But, your subsequent information is for VA. The laws are completely different and the links are obviously not helpful for WV homeschoolers.

Just wanting to point that out so that it could be fixed one way or another in order to provide a useful/workable thread.

Cole

Blog Entries

Cole ~ Thanks for the shout out! must have clicked on the wrong state or something. Most of the "helpful" hints would remain the same BUT I wanted to make sure I found a couple of links for WV! AND if you have any you like please post them!

Homeschooling In West Virginia - Subjects
    West Virginia Local Homeschooling Resources | TheHomeSchoolMom.com
    How to Begin Homeschool in WV | eHow.com

thanks!
    pandahoneybee

Samantha Putnam is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm new to t4l, but not new to homeschooling. I've been homeschooling my oldest son (who has special needs) for almost 3 years, and filed the first NOI for my daughter this year (although we started homeschooling her a couple of years ago). Some of my favorite sites for information on homeschooling in WV (including the laws) are WVHEA - West Virginia Home Educators Association and Christian Home Educators of WV Facebook Posts. I'd also recommend a membership with either HSLDA: Homeschooling Advocates since 1983 or http://www.http://homeschoollegaladvantage.com/.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for the links Samantha.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Default WV Homeschool Laws and How to's

Quote Originally Posted by pandahoneybee View Post
    I just wanted to start a thread that we could all post helpful info about homeschooling in WV. So if you know of a site or info please post it below

Have all of your WV homeschooling questions answered here:
    New to Homeschooling

and here

Homeschooling in West Virginia

Cynthia in Kanawha County WV

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

THose are great links Cynthia. Thanks for sharing them with us.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Homeschooling Laws and Helpful Hints

what are the first steps to becoming a homeschool teacher?

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Homeschooling Laws and Helpful Hints

I want to rentain my son in the 5th grade. The school disagrees, his grades are to high. If I decide to homeschool him and retain him in the 5th grade. How does that work? Can I reteach the grade, and will they put him in he 6th next year if when I enroll him back next in public school?