Homeschooling Stories, why did you start?

View Poll Results: How long have you been homeschooling?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always have, always will!

0 0%
  • Just started and love it

0 0%
  • Thinking about it

0 0%
  • Other~ please tell us about it below

1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Homeschooling Stories, why did you start?

Hello Everyone!

I just thought that I would share why I am homeschooling and see if it inspires any of you to do the same! I feel that our stories might just help out anyone who is on the fence with deciding to homeschool OR someone who is totally frustrated with it continue!

~ A little background, we have moved around alot with my husband's job so my oldest son had to switch schools 3 times by 4th grade. He was diagnosed with ADHD (by a doctor) and learning disabilities (by the school systems) by 1st grade. So even when my youngest came along I was still helping at his school almost as much as I was at home. Ok I am a little overprotective, so why you are asking I didn't think to pull him out and homeschool him then? I seriously don't know why it took me so long to do it!
    Ok everything was going ok for him in school but he was always behind and he had to do homework all night long! But we kept at it up until 5th grade, we worked on everything together, I begged for extra help or just books that I could read to help him get over this hill that we could see the top of it but not quite get over the top. All the teachers, etc kept telling me was practice practice practice which we did. We even did the Sylvan and Learning RX programs in hopes that it would make his life easier once he got thru them, they didn't. The last straw on a very long straw was after buying our last house because it had a great magnet school we could go to. Finally a school with smaller classroom sizes, more programs to help him or so we thought. Things didn't change at this school liked I hoped, my younger one had just started kindergarten and so I was volunteering in both classes again I was there more than at home. I noticed that kids that were like my younger son didn't get any attention at all less then 2 minutes one on one with the teacher (I am serious about this I timed the teachers) in the day! And the other kids that were clearly too advanced got alot and so did the kids with problems. My older son was then in 5th grade and things were going down hill fast for him. The kids in his class actually picked on him so much that I would cry myself a little each day he went and so did he. The really terrible thing was that they didn't care if I was in the room or not, he was fair game. The teachers were doing their best, I guess, but when he finally got barely thru the 5th grade and was applying for the next level in Magnet school, we got reassigned! I tried so hard to get him into this middle school because we had taken the tour together and he had never and I mean never been so excited to go to a school ever before. But we didn't get it in, SO I decided that I was going to homeschool at that point and did about 3 months of research. No one could talk me out of it, not my family or neighbors no one, I was determined to make this work. We are now going on our third year and though it is still tough at times there have been days when my boys just smile all day long because they are happy! I believe that things happen for a reason and I was meant to homeschool my boys, we have found great friends and resources (like time4learning) that help us thru the tough times.

I hope that my story can inspire you to tell yours too, we might have alot more in common then you think!

Happy Homeschooling~
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

McNeelyplus4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am very new to homeschool and still very scared cause that means that my daughters edication is all up to me. She was in the second grade when we pulled her from school which was two weeks ago. She has ADHD and has a lot of problems focusing and retaining what she does learn. She was in kindergarden for two years and still didn't know her alphebet and that was with us working for several hours after school. First grade was a struggle, but she was blessed with amazing teacher that worked with both me and her until she started to learn. She was of course still very behind, but she had made so much progress that the school went ahead and passed her feeling that what it would do to her socially would be more harmful than passing her, but they did deside to put her in a special ed class most of the day in second grade. Which has been a nightmare for both her and me. I was at the school almost everyday cause of the issues with her new teacher and nothing was ever done except them telling me that I was blowing the problem out of portion and that the issue was miss communication between my 8 year old daughter and the teacher. The final straw was when my daughter came home crying cause the teacher said that she was not going to help her because she didn't brush her teeth. I make my daughter brush her teeth and in the mornings I still do it for her, but I don't require her to brush her tounge cause it makes her puke. I was fuming and went to the school first thing the next morning. They told me that that is not what happened, but that they would talk to the teacher. The next week she came home with a tooth brush in her book bag. When I ask her where it came from she said that her teacher had went to the office and made her brush her teeth in front of her whole class. That was when I went to the board. They of course did nothing to help but call the school and tell the princlpe exactly what I said. They called my daughter into the office without contacting us and started questioning her. She was so scared that she started crying. My husband had had enough and this time he talked to the school. They lied to him and than tried to blame it all on me, but that didn't work either cause he had been at home of several times when she had comehome crying. She hated school after the first week of being with this new teacher and I cried almost everyday after dropping her off. I am very new at the whole homeschooling thing but I am determined to make this work. Noone cares more about her education than I do.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Great big ((HUGS)) to all your family!! I can't even imagine how ticked I would be if the teachers were the bullies, it was bad enough with the kids. AND you are so right the school do nothing to the kids or teachers that are the problems! I am so upset for you and your daughter that they questioned her privately! I mean honestly, trying to scare the hell out of a kid, send them to the office!

NOW anyone who pulls their kiddos out of the system is always scared and nervous, believe me I was so nervous to be teaching both my boys. and there is a lot of trail and error with finding what works for you all as a family. We still use T4L for my youngest (oldest is in 9th grade now!) that first year was such a blur, it was an awesome program that helped both the boys fill in gaps in their learning. My advice is to take it slow, stick with the main subjects finding out what works for your daughter and go from there. If you add it all on too fast then there will be meltdowns (by you both! LOL)

Hoping that you see that this is a wonderful experience for you both and enjoy it! My boys actually love to learn again and to see them happy is the best thing ever for me!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Dinomom13 is offline Junior Member

McNeely, that's horrible the way they treated your daughter! It sounds like homeschooling will be the best thing for her! One of the things I like about Time4Learning, is the ability to adjust the grade level to where your child is comfortable. So, even if your daughter is in 2nd grade, maybe she needs to work in mid-Kindergarten or 1st grade, you just adjust her grade level. When my daughter asked about the numbers in the right-hand side of the screen, I told her it was just different levels of work she could try. She explored the one above and below where I'd placed her, and I've allowed her to pick and choose what concepts to cover in Science and Social Studies. In Math, we're choosing together what things she needs to cover, because there's lots of gaps in her skills that need to be filled in.

The reason I started homeschooling? I guess I'm an accidental homeschooler, as I've seen mentioned. My daughter is 6th grade, and started asking to be homeschooled in 1st grade. She already knew how to multiply and divide, and was fascinated with the concept of "infinity" - She told me several times that "There has to be an end to the number line, I just think they haven't found it yet." She was determined to find it herself - and would lie in bed at night counting, and then write down the last number she said before crashing.

She was identified as "Gifted" in the area of Math in Kindergarten, but still wasn't reading by the time she started 1st grade. Her 1st grade teacher refused to adjust anything in the Math curriculum, so the poor kid was forced to do worksheets with single-digit addition problems for several months, just as her classmates did. One day, she came home with a Math paper and said I needed to sign it. I looked at it - and she'd made a 0! I started looking over the problems - 5+2=10; 4+1=8; 1+2=6; etc. Do you see the pattern? I quickly did - So I asked her - "Why did you get all of these problems wrong?" Her answer - "Mom, I've done this worksheet several times now, and I got them right every time, and she still keeps giving me these same problems, so this time, I thought I'd make it more fun so I added 3 more to each problem, and she gave me a zero!"

So, I walked her in the next morning and handed the paper to the teacher - who said - "So, she showed you her poor grade? And she's supposed to be gifted in Math!" That infuriated me - but I kept my cool - and asked - "Did you notice anything about the pattern of her answers?" She got a confused look on her face - obviously she had not noticed. I said - "She added 3 more to each problem because you keep giving her the same worksheet and she was bored so she decided to make the work more challenging. Maybe we need to find something else for her to do in Math." The teacher's response? "If she can't follow my rules and do her work correctly, she doesn't need more challenging work. She needs to learn to follow the rules - and she can't even read yet, so why should I give her more challenging work?" I worked that entire year to try and make sure my daughter's needs were met. Thankfully, the teacher went on maternity leave in January, and the kiddo did great with the new teacher!

Fast-forward a few years - Daughter started having health issues beginning in January, 2010. that worsened to the point she was placed on Homebound in February, 2011. She had severe migraines, reflux, and irritable bowel syndrome. Homebound was a joke - the teacher would show up late, unprepared, and would usually leave early. I finally decided I needed to check into homeschooling, even though I had always been adamantly opposed to the concept. In April, I withdrew her and started homeschool. By the end of May, her health issues had mostly resolved. We were using the K12 curriculum, and found out they were opening a virtual public school in our state, so the same curriculum could be provided free of charge - so I registered her. Things went well for the first couple months - but then they started adding all kinds of extra requirements, and pressuring the children regarding tests. The week before Thanksgiving, there were several online class sessions to prepare the children for a writing assessment they were to complete the next week. My daughter had migraines 3 days that week, and in the middle of attending one of those online classes, ran to the bathroom and started puking.

I withdrew her the following week and signed up with Time4Learning. She's so much happier now - and I wish I had considered homeschool more seriously years ago. She's also recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. Her gastro doc referred her for testing; I'd suspected it for years and she'd been evaluated several times, with no conclusive diagnosis, other than "autistic-like behavior" and "extreme anxiety" - but her gastro doc thought it would explain why she puts so much pressure on herself and the subsequent gut issues. I'm thankful the gastro doc pushed to find the cause rather than just treating symptoms. I'm also glad we're homeschooling - We're having fun and Time4Learning works well with her learning style.