Moving to WV, confused about Options!
    nemetzger is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Moving to WV, confused about Options!

My family lives in Virginia. We may be moving just across the border into West Virginia. But, I am really confused about the Options. Do we get to pick which option or does each county choose for their county? Why is there a Notify option and an Approval option? If we move to WV is there a possibility that we may be denied the right to home school? Also, will I need to submit my sons standardized tests this year bc we home schooled in VA this year or just after the first year we homeschool in WV? Is WV a good place to home school? Thanks!

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

hello here is the difference between option and approval for WV from our WV home page and
    Families choosing to homeschool their children in West Virginia may do so via either “notice” or “approval.” The notice option involves simply filing a notice that you are planning to provide home instruction and submitting an annual assessment of each child’s progress (a portfolio of child’s work, standardized test scores, or an approved outside assessment). The approval option does not require standardized testing, but is regulated by the school board who oversees the homeschool’s curriculum, attendance, instructional time, and progress.

I hope this helps!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

tkinzer is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello, I am new to homeschooling. I am going to be homeschooling my 13 year old son, who is Autistic and also has ADHD. I just started the process to homeschooling him, so I was wondering if you knew of a site of approved text books for W.V. homeschoolers? I want to go with the text books W.V. provides, but I was told they could come in late and I want to be prepared. I want to have back up learning materials in case W.V. can't get the books together for me in a timely manner. My son is in 7th grade, but mentally has different grade levels, Do you know if time for learning is approved by W.V regulations? Do all the subjects meet W.V. requirements? Sorry to bug, I am new to W.V to, I haven't been here that long. I just want to get all my lesson plans in order, So I can start a fun, happy and exciting time for my son and I.
    Thank you so much for your time,
    Tkinzer

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the WV forum If you check out the link above for our WV state page it should answer any questions that you might have If not let me know!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure