Need Help
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Need Help

  1. #1
    Unregistered Guest

    Default Need Help

    I am a college professor, my wife a former professor and now nurse, and we are having a horrible time with my son's 2nd grade teacher who appears to be unprepared and unwilling to change her ways. She was a last day replacement and is just lazy, and frankly put, she isn't very intelligent.

    We were thinking about home school but we do not even know the basics of getting started because it was never an option before. My mother-in-law, 30 years as a 2nd grade teacher, would be with us to assist us.

  2. #2
    hearthstone_academy's Avatar
    hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Blog Entries

    Default Re: Need Help

    Hi! Welcome to the forum!

    Homeschool laws are different in each state. I will paste a summary of West Virginia's homeschool laws at the bottom of this page.

    It can sometimes actually be a disadvantage to be a teacher, since homeschooling and classroom management skills are different. I usually suggest new homeschool families start early to develop a "homeschool mindset" (instead of a classroom mindset), to avoid burnout of student and home educator. Here are a few articles you might be interested in:

    How Long is a Homeschool Day?

    Homeschool or School at Home?

    You might also be interested in our free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

    Here, as promised, are the West Virginia homeschool laws. There are two options: Homeschooling with board approval (which isn't really parent-directed education and isn't what most states or homeschool families would consider "homeschool") and homeschooling by letter of intent. These are the only requirements to homeschool via letter of intent:

    1. Ensure that the person providing the home instruction has the required qualification.

    The person providing home instruction must have a high school diploma or equivalent.

    2. File a notice of intent with your school board or superintendent.

    Your notice of intent must include your child’s name, address, and age. You must assure that your child will be instructed in reading, language, mathematics, science, and social studies and assessed annually. You must also provide evidence that the person providing home instruction possesses the required qualification.
    The law requires that you submit the notice on or before the date you begin homeschooling.
    Your notice of intent is effective until you move to a different county or stop homeschooling.
    Here is what to do if the superintendent denies your notice of intent:
    The superintendent is not legally permitted to deny your notice of intent. If a superintendent believes a parent’s right to homeschool should be denied, he or she must seek an order from the circuit court, which will only be granted if the superintendent shows evidence that the child will suffer educational neglect.

    3. Assess your student annually.

    You are required to obtain an assessment each year that you homeschool and to maintain copies of the assessment for three years. You may choose one of four options to assess your child.
    One, you may select any nationally normed, standardized achievement test published not more than 10 years previously. The test must be administered by someone qualified according to the test publisher and according to the instructions of the test publisher. The test must cover reading, language, mathematics, science, and social studies. A child who scores in the 4th stanine (23rd percentile) or higher, or whose score has improved since the previous year’s assessment results, is considered to have made “acceptable progress” under the law.
    Two, you may choose to participate in the public school testing program. Acceptable progress will be based on the state testing program guidelines.
    Three, you may obtain a written narrative that indicates a certified teacher has reviewed a portfolio of your child’s work and determined that the child’s academic progress for the year is in accordance with the child’s abilities. The narrative must include a statement about progress in the areas of reading, language, math, science, and social studies and note, if any, which areas show need for improvement or remediation.
    Four, if the superintendent agrees, the child may complete any alternative academic assessment of proficiency. Acceptable progress will be determined by agreement between the superintendent and the parents.
    Here is what will happen if your child does not demonstrate acceptable progress:
    If assessment under one of the options above does not show acceptable progress, you may request the county to notify you in writing of available services to assess your child’s special education eligibility. You are required to initiate a remedial program. The remedial program does not need to be submitted to or approved by the school district, but it must foster acceptable progress. Members of HSLDA may contact us for further advice if they have any concerns about their child meeting acceptable progress standards.

    4. Submit certain assessments.

    You must submit the results of the assessment for your child for 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 11th grades to the county superintendent by June 30 of those years.

    Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts