Special needs
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Special needs

  1. #1
    Doodlein304 is offline Junior Member Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2015

    Default Special needs

    My wife and I are considering homeschooling our 6 year old autistic daughter. I have an Associates degree and plan to perform the daily teaching. The county is trying to take her out of the school she has been in for the past 2 years. We fear that the change of environment and her daily routine will make her regress and lose all of the progress she has made.

    We are looking for as much information as we can get to decide if homeschooling will be an option. I have researched a good amount on homeschooling, but the only information I can find does not mention special needs/autism.

    I have spoke with the County Board of Education and they said we had to find a teacher to administer the assessment test at the end of the year, and that it is the parents responsibility of finding a teacher willing to administer the assessment test and what to focus on in the parent/teacher portfolio. Can anyone suggest a teacher to administer the assessment test?

    I have found many different curriculum for homeschooling but would like advice on which one is the best and would benefit my daughter the most. It does not matter if it is a free or pay curriculum as long as my daughter gets the best education as possible.

    My daughter can now spell and read and we have started working on math with her.

    Before anyone gives negative comments about the social interactions that will be lost from not going to school, my wife and I are creating social interactions for her by starting her in the challengers sports league and looking into day cares for her to go to for a couple hours a week. She does not play with other children now, but she is starting to parallel play.

    We are also looking for any occupational and speech therapists in the area that can come to our home and work with her on a weekly basis.

  2. #2
    chad.stiles is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Hope all is well!

    I know that this was posted several months ago, and I'm hoping you have found the answers that you needed. In case you haven't, then hopefully, I can provide some help for you. Let me give you a little background of my story, so you have an idea of where I'm coming from. I have an 11-year-old son with petit mal (staring spell, or absence) seizures, and he had an IEP when he was in public school. Everything went well through most of elementary school; however, as soon he started middle school, we immediately had problems with his principal. She was nasty, rude, and just plain not willing to work with us. Two weeks into the school year, she informed us that my son's IEP wasn't being followed because she hadn't had time to review it yet, and further, some things in his IEP only applied in certain classes and not in others (which was not what his IEP stated; after all, I'm pretty sure his seizures are not based on what classes he is in at the time he has one). It was after that meeting that we submitted the required notice of intent to homeschool, and my son has been thriving since we started homeschooling him.

    The County Board of Education that you spoke to is misinformed about WVís laws regarding homeschooling. You actually have four options for end-of-year assessments. Iíve listed them below. If you choose the second option and allow your child to participate in the testing program currently in use by the stateís public schools, the public school has to allow your child to take the test at the school, and there is no cost to you, and you donít have to find anyone to administer the test. The third option doesnít require any standardized test; however, you are responsible for finding a certified teacher to review your childís portfolio and write the narrative. If you choose the first option (and possibly the fourth option), then yes, you would be required to find someone to administer the test; however, this isnít the only option available to you. I hope this information helps you!

    • (i) The child receiving home instruction takes a nationally normed standardized achievement test to be administered under standardized conditions as set forth by the published instructions of the selected test in the subjects of reading, language, mathematics, science and social studies. The childís parent or legal guardian may not administer the test in any event. The publication date of the chosen test may not be more than ten years from the date the test is administered. The child is considered to have made acceptable progress when the mean of the childís test results in the required subject areas for any single year meets or exceeds the fiftieth percentile or, if below the fiftieth percentile, shows improvement from the previous yearís results;
    • ​(ii) The child participates in the testing program currently in use in the stateís public schools. The test shall be administered to the child at a public school in the county of residence. Determination of acceptable progress shall be based on current guidelines of the state testing program;​
    • (iii) The county superintendent is provided with a written narrative indicating that a portfolio of samples of the childís work has been reviewed and that the childís academic progress for the year is in accordance with the childís abilities. If the narrative indicates that the childís academic progress for the year is in accordance with the childís abilities, the child is considered to have made acceptable progress. This narrative shall be prepared by a certified teacher whose certification number shall be provided. The narrative shall include a statement about the childís progress in the areas of reading, language, mathematics, science and social studies and shall note any areas which, in the professional opinion of the reviewer, show need for improvement or remediation; or​
    • (iv) The child completes an alternative academic assessment of proficiency that is mutually agreed upon by the parent or legal guardian and the county superintendent. Criteria for acceptable progress shall be mutually agreed upon by the same parties

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts