I'm new to homeschooling, HELP!
    soapmomof4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I'm new to homeschooling, HELP!

Hello. I am homeschooling and began my journey 2 weeks ago with my 8 and 5 year old sons. My 5 year old is awesome with his work and my 8 year old refuses to do what he's told. I am exhausted with him and I don't know how to make him interested. He hates writing and is not very skilled in it yet so I mostly have him do verbal work. He knows the answers but cries when I ask him to write them. I am struggling with him every day. I try and play fun and educational games along with non-fiction books about anything he will love to know. We are doing a lot of Grammar and I give him verbal tests that he does very well on. I can't keep him still and alert to our lessons.

He makes this annoying noise when he gets frustrated with me for trying to make him work. I know that homeschooling is more than finishing a worksheet but I am trying to figure out what he already knows so I can work on his weaknesses. I try to encourage him to work and pay attention - so I set up goals with prizes when he finishes each goal. He is not interested!! I just don't know what to do. We started a chicken life cycle unit since we have chickens and he knows a lot about chickens! But chickens are not the only thing he needs to learn! We began another unit study on the state of Wisconsin and he loves learning about the symbols, trees, and even the folklore surrounding the state.

If anyone lives close to me I am in Ripon. I would love to have someone to talk to who is homeschooling! Thank you!

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Hi there!

Congratulations - Sometimes the hardest part of homeschooling is making the decision to start! The first year if often difficult though, especially for kids who are transitioning from a public/private school environment. It's never easy, but you do seem to be in a rough spot.

You might try checking out the new member forum for some more advice on how to adjust to homeschooling. There are lots of new homeschooling moms over there, and like I said, the transition can be rocky so I bet some of them are in similar situations. My best advice to you is to give it some time and don't give up!

Please feel free to post again if you have any other questions! We're glad you're here - welcome to Time4Learning!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com