New to home schooling.. ?? on WI laws?
    Shawnmarie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Exclamation New to home schooling.. ?? on WI laws?

Hello! I'm new to home schooling. My husband and I have decided to home school our 12 year old daughter, due to her health issues. She has a brain malformation that causes her to be very sick a lot of the time and has to miss school constantly because of it. I have been trying to find WI laws on homeschooling and can only find that she will need to have 800 hours of instruction and to keep a calender? I have looked into online home schools and to be honest, we can not afford them! The free school's enrollment are now closed but my daughter is getting further and further behind in Public school, due to her health. I'm about ready to pull all my hair out because I just don't know what to do. The Library says we can do it ourselves and create our own curriculum? Is this true? And if so... How do I do that and make sure she is getting what she needs? I know I have a lot of questions but I just want whats best for my daughter and the public school is not working out. Please help?
    Thank You for your time and consideration
    ShawnMarie

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Hi ShawnMarie,

It definitely sounds like homeschooling would be a great answer to your daughter's situation. Check out the Wisconsin page for more info on homeschooling here, as well as tons of links for further info and to answer your questions.

Glad to have you join us - welcome!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com

Womomma Guest

Smile re wi

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnmarie View Post
    Hello! I'm new to home schooling. My husband and I have decided to home school our 12 year old daughter, due to her health issues. She has a brain malformation that causes her to be very sick a lot of the time and has to miss school constantly because of it. I have been trying to find WI laws on homeschooling and can only find that she will need to have 800 hours of instruction and to keep a calender? I have looked into online home schools and to be honest, we can not afford them! The free school's enrollment are now closed but my daughter is getting further and further behind in Public school, due to her health. I'm about ready to pull all my hair out because I just don't know what to do. The Library says we can do it ourselves and create our own curriculum? Is this true? And if so... How do I do that and make sure she is getting what she needs? I know I have a lot of questions but I just want whats best for my daughter and the public school is not working out. Please help?
    Thank You for your time and consideration
    ShawnMarie

ShawnMarie,

You're right. Wi public school's open enrollment isnt until Jan/Feb. It's too bad that they are not more flexible with virtual charter enrollment(because it's still considered public school). I found the Wi DPI wAebsite to be useful just on the basics of what's required for the state. Did she start the school year,attending a public school? You'll want to subtract any public school hours, from the 875 homeschool hours needed. You may be surprised. We will have to only supplement 300 hours, until the next school year. If the child does 7 hours/day like a public school day, then its roughly only 2 months of lessons needed. You can stretch it out longer so that the child can work only a few hours/day and bring it through to summer or a public school year's end. I really do like the curriculum on "time4learning". We can add extras like "spelling vocabulary city". I found that the spelling lists per grade level were very similar to the public school's that we came from. Which, made me feel more comfortable,as we are also new with the homeschool program in Wi. I also like the science supply list for experiments from Time4Learning, my child enjoys doing them,and they are not expensive. Everyday Math has a useful website. IXL can be useful,too. This "T4L" website program has taught my child things that she hadn't even heard of in her old school for English.I feel that as long as they are making progress each day, that's the goal. You can enroll her in the public charter virtual school in Jan for the next school year.

Good Luck

Rhondatrull is offline Junior Member Newbie

ShawnMarie, There is a free Christian homeschool at www.allinonehomeschool.com it is all done online. Hope this helps

Unregistered Guest

Exclamation Re: New to home schooling.. ?? on WI laws?

Rhonda, how do you enroll in this? Can I start mid-year? My oldest has had some problems with some bullying and I'm looking for something to finish out the school year while I apply into another district for next year. I love the curriculum and what I see on that site, but I have no clue where to start with all of this. I'm overwhelmed! She is in 3rd Grade

Katrah is offline Junior Member

Default Re: New to home schooling.. ?? on WI laws?

Hi ShawnMarie!

I'm also in Wisconsin and homeschooling. Wisconsin is a great state in terms of their homeschooling laws. When I first started looking into this I also was a bit confused. Here's a good place to start:

https://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/fil...aq_2015_09.pdf

You may also want to check out the WPA website. It's a fantastic group of homeschooling parents who are dedicated to helping those in the homeschool community in Wisconsin. They also have a book titled: Homeschooling in Wisconsin. I was able to obtain a copy of this book from my local library and it is full of wonderful advice from choosing curriculum, record keeping, and how to deal with public school, etc.

https://homeschooling-wpa.org/

To answer some questions:

Yes, you can create your own curriculum in Wisconsin. Currently Wisconsin requires that you teach a minimum of 875 hours throughout the year. They require that you teach the following subjects: Reading, Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Health. (If you want to add more it's entirely up to you). You have the freedom to choose how you teach those subjects. That means it can be via textbook, an online source such as here (Time 4 Learning), library books (a great option if you're on a budget!!!!), watching documentaries (lots of free stuff on YouTube, I use it frequently!! - or your library likely has tons of DVD's), or a combination of all of these. The choice is yours just as long as you are teaching those 6 required subjects - and teaching for a total of 875 hours each year (the 875 hours can be a combination of those 6 subjects as well as other subjects you'd like to add, such as home economics in example). In addition, they do not specify how much time you must spend on each subject, rather that each subject must be taught in a "sequentially progressive" way. This simply means that they are moving forward in their learning (ie: Year 1 of homeschooling = 1st grade math concepts / Year 2 of homeschooling = 2nd grade math concepts, etc.). So for example, if you decide to touch on Health once a week while doing Math daily, that's just fine, just as long as all 6 subjects are being taught in a way that your child is moving forward in their learning.

Don't forget that you also have to fill out a PI-1206 form before you begin homeschooling.

Record keeping:

Since by law you have to provide 875 hours of instruction per year, teach the 6 subjects mentioned above in a progressive sequential way you will need to keep some type of a calendar or proof that your child is receiving this. Here's what I do: I have a regular spiral notebook where I outline the work I want my daughter to do for the day and it keeps track of everything that we've done. I have my daughter check off items as she does them and at the end of the day I double check her work. It looks something like this:

Date

* LA Extensions:
    - Lesson 1
    - Lesson 2

* Language Arts:
    - Lesson 1
    - Lesson 2

*Math:
    - Lesson 1
    - Lesson 2

* Science
    -Lesson 1
    * Social Studies
    - Lesson 1
    *Health
    - read pages 1-5 (Harcourt Grade 2 Health Textbook)
    - workbook pages 2, 3, & 5

* Computer Skills
    - check e-mail for lesson
    * Reading
    - Read Chapter 1 of Charlotte's Web
    - Fill out Chapter Review worksheet

* Extras
    - How to Address an envelop (see Mommy)
    * Watch documentary: George Washington (check e-mail)

In addition I keep copies of these things. Her worksheets I scan and file away on my PC and I keep an additional copy of everything on a cloud server. I do the same for each page of the notebook, as well as the reports from Time 4 Learning. I of course keep copies of any of the lessons I give via e-mail. This way if I am ever questioned on whether or not I'm providing instruction to my daughter according to WI homeschool law, I have adequate proof that we are abiding by the law. While just keeping that notebook/diary of daily activities I'm sure is enough by law, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I also dislike clutter which is why I scan everything and safely store the files rather than keep the actual paperwork and find a physical place for it; just a personal preference.

Making Sure She's On Track:

I'm really enjoying Time 4 Learning and so is my daughter. Are you able to afford their service? We also are on a very tight budget but find the monthly fee reasonable. I don't have to worry about whether or not she's learning what she should be for her grade level for 5 of the 6 subjects required in WI. For Health I simply purchased a used 2nd grade Health textbook from Amazon for less than $10. If you cannot afford the monthly fee here looking for used textbooks may be an option. You don't need the accompanying workbooks if you cannot afford them. The textbooks come with lessons that you can have your child do. This would keep your cost down if you went that route to ensure she's receiving instruction that's on par with her learning level. Otherwise see if your library has textbooks. Also, there are books that talk about what children should learn at certain grade levels. See if your library has anything like this.

https://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Six...ZFAST873Z5G8WG

If you can find a book from the library that is this one or similar you could use that to check-out appropriate reading material for free from the library to use as your curriculum.

Someone else asked about starting mid-year:

Yes, you can start whenever you'd like! But you MUST fill out the PI-1206 form. Once you've done that and receive confirmation that it's been received by the DPI you are officially homeschooling and can start your homeschool curriculum. While contacting whatever school your child is currently enrolled in is NOT required - you may want to call or visit with the principal just to confirm that they've received notification that you've filed a PI-1206 and that they have removed your child from their attendance rolls so that you don't accidentally have someone knocking on your door thinking your child is truant.
    Last edited by Katrah; 03-30-2017 at 11:31 AM.