New to Homeschooling. Could use some help and support please!
    kc9tzw is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschooling. Could use some help and support please!

Hi. My name is Stephanie and I am the mother of three wonderful little girls, ages 7,6, and 3. My children are currently enrolled in a public school in Waupaca County. I will explain our past/current situation before I ask questions.

My oldest daughters, currently in first and second grades, have always attended public school. They attended an awesome school in Outagamie Co where we loved both the staff, individual attention, and curriculum. There was always homework, teacher/parent communication was excellent, and my daughters educations were based on their individual needs. In October, because of uncontrollable circumstances we were forced to move.

My oldest daughter has a learning disability. She is at grade level. In her previous school she was pushed to achieve her highest potential, even though at times she didn't like it, she was excelling in every subject.

My 6 year old daughter is G/T. She is only in first grade but is reading at a grade level much higher then that. She recently finished reading the book Anne Of Green Gabels and is now reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

At their current school I have a list of complaints. It is the worst school I could ever imagine. The staff is rude and ill mannered. There is little to no teacher/parent communication, no homework, they have not evaluated my children's reading levels in months, and worst of all is both of my daughter's are stuck doing grade level work. There is absolutely no individualized attention.

As a last resort, to save my children's education I have decided to homeschool my children. There are two issues I have to address first. My husband does not support this plan and I have no idea where to start. How can I overcome these challanges? Please help!

mamaneedham is offline Senior Member

Hi Stephanie,

Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling! One of the first steps is to decide what type of homeschooler you are. It sounds like you're looking for a lot of structure in your daughter's lessons. Great! Time4Learning provides that. How have your children liked the program so far?

I'm sorry to hear your husband isn't convinced of the need to homeschool, but hopefully he'll see a change for the better in your kids and in the education they're getting. Maybe he'll come around. In the meantime, understand that sometimes the transition to homeschooling is difficult, so the things you're going through are really pretty normal!

You might like to check out our forum for families new to T4L. I bet you'll find some great advice from folks going through similar circumstances. New Member Forum

Thanks for posting!
    Mom to five of the world's most incredible kids, and homeschooling all the way!

"If the schools were perfect, I would still homeschool my children - because it isn't about school. It's about families taking back their children and educating them as they see best. School is only a substitute for the real thing."

Nutrition Curriculum For Homeschoolers at NutritionForHealthyKids.com