Welcome to my Wisconsin Homeschool Support Forum!
    Genevieve is offline Member

Default Welcome to my Wisconsin Homeschool Support Forum!

I am so happy to be Time 4 Learning state representative for Wisconsin! My name is Genevieve and I am a mom to four kids aged 10, 8, 5 and 9 months. Homeschooling has been an amazing experience for us and I hope to be of help to those in this wonderful (and cold) state! Please visit my state rep page to read more Wisconsin Homeschooling
    Last edited by mamaneedham; 03-17-2011 at 11:15 PM.
    Genevieve
    mom to 4

ambersue1975 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Welcome to my Wisconsin Homeschool Support Forum!

I just signed up my 12 year old today. He has done 5 lessons already and loves it! He is an Asperger's Syndrome kiddo and I just pulled him from PS because it was not working for him! I hope to have him caught up to where he should be by the end of the school year he was not learning at PS...which is so sad because he is so smart!!

I am new to the homeschooling scene...work fulltime outside home, married and have a wonderful mother in law who is here to help keep kiddo on task!! But with the reaction today, I don't think I will have much trouble!
    WOHM "accidental" homeschooler to a wonderful and bright 12 year old with AS that was suffering in PS!!

Where in Wisconsin are you? I guess we're accidental homeschoolers here as well! My kids did start out in public school and I had to pull them out for different reasons.
    That is so great that your mother-in-law is there to help out! We live about an hour from family, which isn't a lot, but for day to day stuff it is just too much of a drive. We have considered moving to Kenosha to be closer (my family is right over the border in Illinois).
    Also, glad to hear that your son loves T4L- all of my kids do. They love being on the computer and they love the motivation of doing lessons so they can play the games!

Genevieve
    I'm really liking these smilies!
    Genevieve
    mom to 4

Becky Kraft is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi,
    I just joined, mother of 4: 22,20,13,11
    Asperger's runs amuck in our family! All 4 have been homeshooled at some point, the oldest 2 did finish up & graduate in PS. The 2 youngest at home now. We live between Madison & Milwaukee.

Becky

Hi Becky!
    Sounds like a really great spot to live- between Milwaukee and Madison. From what I understand, Madison is wonderful, but unfortunately, I have not been there yet to experience it myself. I really need to make it a priority to at least visit the Capitol with my kids!
    Hope the homeschooling is going well for you- it feels very tumultuous for me right now, but that is probably because I'm starting to freak out about all of the upcoming holidays!

Genevieve
    Genevieve
    mom to 4

mandemack is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi! I am new to Wisconsin and could really use some help in getting to know the homeschool ins and out around here. We just moved to the La Crosse area 3 weeks ago. We moved here from Columbus, OH where was actually did OHVA....technically an online charter school funded by the public school system, but I was the teacher and my daughter was taught from home.

We weren't able to enroll her in WIVA because of the laws in WI that you can only enroll in a charter school during Open Enrollment...which...obviously we missed since we had no idea we were moving here.

Anyway....My daughter is 6 and in first grade. We homeschooled (OHVA) last year for Kindy and the first part of this year for 1st. Currently, she is in public school....but we intend to pull her very shortly as soon as I can figure out what all we need to do to homeschool here.

Some of my questions: (based off what I had to do in Oh when I applied for homeschooling there)

Do I need to tack on a list of curriculum I'll be using when I turn in the form to the Dept. of Ed?

Will I need to have someone assess her at the end of the school year in order to send proof to the school district that we in fact taught her something.

Do I need to keep copies of the papers and worksheets that we do to prove that we've done work?

And lastly....how to calculate the hours when coming into homeschooling mid year rather than hsing the entire year?

Thanks for the help!

Mandy

Sorry for my delay at getting back to you! I wasn't getting my email notifications. Welcome to Wisconsin! I put my answers next to your questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandemack

Do I need to tack on a list of curriculum I'll be using when I turn in the form to the Dept. of Ed? No

Will I need to have someone assess her at the end of the school year in order to send proof to the school district that we in fact taught her something. No. I do my own assessments of my kids because I'm nuts like that, but they are not required for the state and I don't have to show anyone but myself

Do I need to keep copies of the papers and worksheets that we do to prove that we've done work?No, but again, I kept almost everything and put it in a container to collect dust forevermore. I don't know if it is the cynical side of me thinking, can this be true? I really don't have to show anything? But really, you don't have to prove anything and I just keep it for posterity I guess

And lastly....how to calculate the hours when coming into homeschooling mid year rather than hsing the entire year?I'm going to triple check on this for you, but just keep track of the hours you homeschool and don't worry about the rest of the year. The state knows she was in public school for half of the year. You need 180 hours total, and if she was in for half of the year, 90 hours for the other half. You don't have to send this in or anything so I'm not sure why they even want you to keep track.

Thanks for the help!

Mandy
    I hope this helps!

Genevieve
    Genevieve
    mom to 4

Keri2Kids is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I'm interested in homeschooling my child who is in 7th grade at the moment. We live in a suburb of Madison.

I do have a few questions. How much does this program cost? Where do you go for homeschooling after 8th grade because the courses end there?

I'm totally new to this and have clue what I'm doing. I do have the state forms to fill out though. But that's all I have and know. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Thanks so much!
    Keri

Quote Originally Posted by Keri2Kids
    Hi, I'm interested in homeschooling my child who is in 7th grade at the moment. We live in a suburb of Madison.

I do have a few questions. How much does this program cost? Where do you go for homeschooling after 8th grade because the courses end there?

I'm totally new to this and have clue what I'm doing. I do have the state forms to fill out though. But that's all I have and know. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Thanks so much!
    Keri
    Hi Keri!

It can seem so overwhelming at first, I know! Time4Learning is $19.95 a month. Here is an extremely helpful resource for high school homeschooling http://www.time4learning.com/homesch...h_school.shtml It's a lot to take in, so I recommend grabbing a cup of tea and settling in for some reading!
    I do try to plan ahead with our homeschooling, but it is more of a loose plan. What has been so wonderful with homeschooling is that we can change and tweak things as we go along. Some things I thought we would like, we ended up not liking, things I thought we would never do, we end up doing. There is so much available to homeschoolers now through the internet it can be mind boggling and so wonderful at the same time!
    Please let me know if there is any other way I can help you out!

Genevieve
    Genevieve
    mom to 4