1. aandwsmom - 09-28-2010, 06:14 PM
    So, was it a personal choice? Accidental homeschooler like myself? Special needs child? School system going downhill?

We would love to know what influenced your decision to homeschool? I am always curious as to why people homeschool!
  2. Rags - 11-29-2010, 12:25 AM
    We started homeschooling because the public school system sucks for a special needs child above the elementary school level. Our local school actually refused to follow our son's IEP. The state department of education refused to help us do anything about it, even with rock solid proof. Then we started looking at the local state testing records for special education kids, and were astounded. As children in our area get older, their test scores go down further and further. After fighting day after day for half a school year, we gave up and pulled our son. Best choice we have ever made as parents. He is 11, supposed to be in 6th grade, but actually works at about a 3rd grade level. Public schools push children like this to the back of the room and tell them to be quiet, homeschooling allows us to bring him back "to the front of the class." I would never choose to put him back in public schools after seeing the progress that can be made at home. Besides that, we are a military family and homeschooling gives us the benefit of never having to worry about switching schools when uncle sams says it's time to move.
  3. aandwsmom - 11-30-2010, 08:39 AM
    Welcome!!!
    Sounds like you made the right choice for your family!!
    ITA with you on the kids being pushed to back of class.
    My son was really behind in Math in public school, teacher refused to help and he was expected to follow along. He too was in 6th grade and I feel he was barely 4th grade math at the time. He has since caught up and surpassed using T4L and now understands many of the concepts, etc.
    I wish we had decided on homeschooling sooner, but I am thankful that now my kids are at a good point in their schooling because we chose to homeschool.
    Please jump in and post away!
    Happy Homeschooling!
  4. myvision - 12-01-2010, 02:35 PM
    Hi,
    My name is Lisa and my son's name is Jonathan. We started homeschooling beacuse the public school was very rude when they discovered he could not "keep up". They were very pushy and rude about it. They would send home piles of extra work for him, keep him in from recess and this was only Kindergarten and first grade. He was not a bother to other kids. However, he was unable to focuss and was very behind . We decided to homeschool for this reason, but also because of other convictions. Everything the school pointed me towards was ADD. However, I knew this could not be it. So, after many, many tears and prayers and frustration from my son and myself, we brought him to a Vision Therapy Center and his was diognosed with convergence insufficiency and accommodative dysfuncation both as severe for his age. This is focussing and tracking, however, he had double vision, blurred vision and so on as well. The therapy doctor told me these vision disorders cause distraction. Also that some people with ADD are often misdiognosed and actually have these vision disorders as some of the symtoms are quite similar. Bingo!
  5. aandwsmom - 12-06-2010, 10:05 AM
    WELCOME!!!
    It sounds like you made the right decision for your son! Welcome to T4L!
    Please do not hesitate to jump in and post away! We have a great support group here!!
    Happy Homeschooling!
  6. guzieae - 02-20-2011, 08:42 PM
    I began homeschooling because one of my adopted sons is special needs and after 3 years in public school he wasn't thriving. The past few months have been LIFE CHANGING. My only wish is that I'd decided to begin sooner, but I'm so happy we made the change. 2 of my kids are home now, but I hope to have more of my 6 begin homeschooling soon. My husband and I have decided to allow them to choose if they want to remain in public school or begin homeschooling in the fall of 2011. We'll see!!!
  7. TheOlivers - 02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
    We began homeschooling in Jan. because I was tired of seeing my son (who has a few sensory issues) being bullied, having the bar lowered and having to fight for everything. I was up at the school, on the phone, CONSTANTLY fighting with the school to do the things that needed to be done for my little man. I got tired of sending him out the door to be shredded up by the wolves to come home for us to try to put him back together to send him back to do it all over again the next day. He would come home in shambles. I had had enough when he came home with a homework page which all of the other students had to do 15 problems and they had only circled 2 for him to do. Because he has a different learning style, they were lowering the bar for him. He was struggling with simple addition and subtraction. Now with one month of T4L he is doing addition and subtraction with regrouping (double and triple digits), fractions and basic multiplication. I have to say that this is the best decision I have ever made for my little man!! He now is gaining some awesome self confidence and is a fairly happy boy. My little girl who is 2.5 also uses T4L and in one month passed the 1st level of the pre-k curric.

Anyway, we are here and we are rockin' and rollin!!! I look forward to meeting other WI homeschoolers!