Anyone work outside of the home fulltime

Thread: Anyone work outside of the home fulltime

Lori Howell is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Anyone work outside of the home fulltime

I was just wondering. I see posts about several people working at home and others that work outside of the home part-time, but I work 8-5, Mon-Fri, and am just getting started with homeschooling. I have decided to pull my 8th grader out of traditional school and start homeschooling. Any advice??? A little nervous. We have a schedule and I love that I can log in from work and look to make sure she is completing her assignments throughout the day.

white1989@sbcglobal.net is offline Junior Member Newbie

I do. I work afternoons and nights. So I am home during the day, but my kids don't usually finish before I have to leave for work since we only have one computer. (Fun stuff right there! LOL) So they have staggered school times. It works well for us so far. We are new-ish to using Time4Learning. We switched from "boxed" curriculum because since I just recently went back to work and am a caregiver for a parent needing a transplant (so we are just busy), sometimes I couldn't get things graded and find problem areas until two or three days passed and then it caused problems. Time4Learning is helping me get that problem solved. I am also finding it is more difficult than our grade-level boxed curriculum. My girls are having to repeat lessons, because my instruction to them starting out is anything they don't get 80% correct on, they must repeat it until they get at least 80%. Now, those non-passing grades do still show up on the grade average, but at least I know they are repeating it until they get it right. I also told mine they have do a certain number of hours per day -not just finish the assignments or they rush through them. I am using it for their core curriculum and I supplement when I can with whatever interests the kids (music/sports). I am interested in seeing what other parents reply with, too. Happy homeschooling!
    Strouse House likes this.

jennabee is offline Junior Member

I started working full time as a preschool teacher one year ago and my 7th and 9th grader home-school. They are bright and responsible kids and they get their work done, but still there is that sense of guilt because I am not as involved in the school work as I had been the first 3 years that we home-schooled. Just curious how things are going for you. Any suggestions?

Default Schedule for working families?

We work outside the home and are just now starting home schooling. Any suggestions on schedules or how to work and homeschool?

lac.ddclc is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by weinrich.family View Post
    "
    Any suggestions on schedules or how to work and homeschool?"

Everyone is different and has their own comfort levels. I would love to be a SAHM, but because we need at least 2 incomes, I work full-time overnights so that I can be home with my son during the day. After being a nanny for 10 years before my son was born, I came to the personal conclusion that a tired, even sometimes sleeping mommy is better than no mommy at all. My schedule doesn't work for most, but I do know other homeschooling moms who have similar schedules for similar reasons. My son works mostly independently so I can get some sleep, but it's nice to be around when he needs a little extra guidance. Now that he's in high school, I'm stepping up my own game to make sure records are thorough so that he will have a nice portfolio for college.

Tmoore7rn is offline Junior Member

I am a nurse and recently took a M-F 8:4:30 position. This is also our first year of homeschooling and this schedule has been quite challenging. I have 4 children, but only 1 is homeschooled because he struggled academically. I figured that he could work on some of the lesson independently and then I can also teach him during my time off. So far, it's been challenging. I am debating on going back to nights, but it's hard for me to function with all the children on nights. Any suggestions?

lac.ddclc is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoore7rn View Post
    "I am debating on going back to nights, but it's hard for me to function with all the children on nights. Any suggestions?"

Do you have any family or friends who live near you who can spend time with the children at least a couple of times a week while you get some sleep? I wish I did, but my family and friends are all in other states. When my son was younger and more dependent, it was a lot harder to get the rest I needed and by the time the weekend rolled around, I was so exhausted, I missed a lot of things, like Y-sports games, just so I could try to catch up on sleep. I made as many as I could, but it wasn't nearly as many as I would have liked. Now he's older and more independent, so it's a little easier ... not much, but a little. And I only have one. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

I own a business and work outside the home Tuesdays through Saturdays. We have school from 6:00am-11:00am then I work from noon to 7:00pm. Fortunately, I have the flexibility to make my own schedule. I is definitely a challenge, but it is worth it.