Balancing work and homeschool
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Balancing work and homeschool

How do you balance the work you need to get done with being there for your children and their schooling? I think the question can apply whether you are a WAHM or a WOHM.
    Melissa.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I wonder if the lack of response to this question means that no one really has the answer?

When I start feeling that I'm getting behind, I get up very early. I was up at 4:10 this morning. I can do that once in awhile without suffering any ill effects, and I love having so many things checked off my list before the rest of the family is even out of bed.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

I get up at 5am M-F, and 6am on weekends. I hate sleeping in, it makes me feel like I missed part of the day. AND I am a crabby person in the morning, it takes me an hour to get nice so I get up early.
    My workday starts @ 8am when 1st daycare kid arrives and ends at 6pm when last one leaves. Its busy but I have learned to work in small snatches, like when daycare kids are eating lunch, coloring, etc.

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

My priority is my son first, so school gets top priority on my schedule. I work from home, but I set my own hours and schedule completely so this really isn't a problem as far as conflicting with school. Of course now I'm trying to work on a new project which is very time consuming and that is causing a bit of conflict, but hubby has helped by tackling some of the cleaning issues in the house for me. It's all just a matter of balancing things based on priorities for our family.

I also learned a while back that it is ok to say NO. If someone asks me to join a group, wants me to volunteer, take on a project, whatever, I can always say NO. I have said it several times and the world has not ended at all. Really! LOL. Usually when I do turn someone down I do let them know that I just have a very full schedule right now and I appreciate being asked/offered but I know that I don't have enough time to give the event/project/etc. my full time which wouldn't be fair to them. Typically the very much appreciate my honesty.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

I do the schooling during naptime for DS. Now that we are pulling other DS, DH and I are working out how/when to do the schooling. I think my youngest DS can do T4L with light supervision, unlike oldest who needs constant. We want to set up a homeschool/computer area, etc. so we can do it. 1 laptop for 4 people, 2 using it for schooling isnt going to cut it. When daycare kids are up and about, usually art projects are helping me do art with daycare kids. They do their free reading and I have them watch something educational and report to me about it. I havent been as enforcing about it with just the 1 DS, but now that 2 are home.... I will have to get a schedule set-up and we work on sticking to it.

Robin is offline Senior Member

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Well if I wasn't too embarrassed I would take a picture of my home and show you that it is what gets neglected. Badly neglected right now. But I would like to point out it is messy not filthy. Its hard with my work schedule. I work at 3a.m four days a week and when needed I work one of my days off at midnight for a few hours. Today was one of those days so it was a super lazy day for us and we got nothing done. But we school as needed and usually end up doing work on the weekends so my husband can be involved too. On two of my three days off I watch my niece who gets dropped off a little after 6am so I am usually up and catching up with emails and paying bills. Sometimes I clean but our apartment is kind of small and I can't make to much noise or I will wake the kiddos. I have learned to go with the flow( I seem to say that a lot in my posts) and like Robyn said the world does not end if I say no to someone or if my laundry piles up for a week. My trick is this though, I invite someone over for dinner or to watch a movie or to play Rockband. Then I have to get my act together and clean even if I am too tired to do it.

A little side note, my Christmas decorations are still up. I tell myself they are so pretty I don't want to take them down but really I am being lazy about it. Maybe I can make it a project to do with my son. Show him how to propperly store the decorations and stuff. Hmmm
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

robotti is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Balancing work and homeschool

I didn't reply before because it turns out I just STINK at balancing homeschool with my job, but I feel a little better about it now.

For about the first month after we started T4L, I think I was just trying to get my head around the fact that I was, in fact, a homeschooling parent. I just let the program do the work, feeling that my daughter and I were both getting used to it. But really, for that first month, she didn't get that much done. I was starting to feel discouraged.

But last weekend, we sat down together for about two hours on Sunday afternoon and worked on the "Early Jewish Civilization" unit in the Social Studies curriculum, and we got quite a bit done and sparked a lot of interest in the subject. She actually spent time this week with a friend of mine learning the rules of kosher cooking and talking about the societal implications. I made out a schedule for her of work for this coming week, and she's gotten quite a bit done, so I feel good about that. I think I'm going to reserve those few hours every weekend and look over her stuff and talk to her about it.

I'm not trying to whine, but I'm travelling to NY (from Princeton, NJ about 1.5 hrs each way) twice a week and I'm just so tired when I get home. I know I should sit down with her every night, but with four other kids I just can't seem to find the time! Still, I think the program is working very well between T4L, her tutor and me.

I doubt if we're going to finish the whole year though, between now and June. I probably should have started in the middle. Oh well!

Anne

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Anne, it sounds like you figure out a good system that works, that is great. As for not finishing don't worry about it. I know I have read on here where a lot of parents don't worry so much on finishing as quality of work. If you don't finish you can always pick up where you left off. I know for science and social studies my son won't be finished because we haven't really started either of them. I focused more on the subjects he needed help in Language arts where he scored very low on his standardized test at the end of school last year. Where in SS and Science he got 9o% and 77% so I wasn't as worried. I know we can just pick up where we left off when we start school next year but we also homeschool during the summer so my son can take more breaks during the school year.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

I can't say I really successfully balance work (my school) and their school, and the upcoming insurance adventure, but I prioritize. Top priorities always get done, and I go on down the list. If the bottom of the list gets neglected for too long (hmm housework?) it gets bumped to top priority for a day or two until the house is caught up.

The children are top priority 95% of the time. When exam time is here or an important meeting, they get bumped for a day or two (not neglected! Just not waited on constantly ) House work does seem to end up on the bottom of the list most of the time, until everything else gets bumped, and we all work together until the house is in good shape again.

That's what I do.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast