How Many Days Per Week?
    KatieG is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default How Many Days Per Week?

I work out of the home full-time. My son is going into first grade.

Basically, I do not believe my son will be able to HS 5 days per week. I work Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. We do a homeschool cooperative most of the day on Tuesday and Thursday, which I feel is very important for us. How many days per week, minimum, do y'all feel we could do for a first grader? 3 days? 4? And how many hours per day if we don't do 5 days per week?

Any suggestions or experiences are helpful.

Thanks for your input.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Katie, it's so nice to meet you. We do lots and lots of outside activities and field trips around here so we don't do school five days a week either. We try to do 3 days per week of actual school work. And on those days we don't do more than one to two hours. My son is finishing up fourth grade. For a first grader you probably won't even spend that much time. Look at the number of lessons in each subject and then divide them by the number of days you plan on doing school. That will give you the number of lessons in each subject that he should be working on. Maybe you could work on all of the subjects on Monday and Friday. Then only one or two subjects after you finish work on your work days. That way you would not be trying to cram everything in to just two days a week.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Kendra2315 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
    I work out of the home full-time. My son is going into first grade.

Basically, I do not believe my son will be able to HS 5 days per week. I work Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday. We do a homeschool cooperative most of the day on Tuesday and Thursday, which I feel is very important for us. How many days per week, minimum, do y'all feel we could do for a first grader? 3 days? 4? And how many hours per day if we don't do 5 days per week?

Any suggestions or experiences are helpful.

Thanks for your input.
    Hello! This is our first year homeschooling and my oldest is in first grade. I work 3.5/days per week, so what I did was have T4L generate a scheduler for me (enough for a full week) and we just make sure we get it done in 3-4 days that I don't work (I work 3, 10 hour shifts, and 1, 4 hour shift). Whether I work or not, we read daily/practice spelling words/sight words.

On our 'school' days, we maybe spend 1-1.5 hours/day max on T4L getting the work done (between the lessons online and the printable).

I actually kind of like the way it works for us We school on Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed! On Mon/Wed he has swim lessons, and we are going to start going to a home school PE and art class on Tues.

If you NEEDED to, I bet you could get it all done in just 2 days/wk but to make it easier, maybe try and split the work up into 3 days?

Good luck!

Blog Entries

That sounds like a great plan Kendra.

Blog Entries

Each family has to figure out what works best for them. For some this may be three hours per day five days per week. For others it may be an hour a day three days per week. Do what is best for you, your child, and your child's style of learning.

Peanutlayne is offline Junior Member

I'm so glad to have found this forum! I'm new to HS. I just started homeschooling my 5 y/o son and we're using T4L for Pre-K and then next fall we'll switch to Kindergarten. I was feeling guilty for not doing it 5 days a week, but somedays it just doesn't work out. I have 5 kids (3 of them are in public school for now until we decide if we are homeschooling them next year as well) so we are pretty busy throughout the week. I'm relieved to hear that not everyone follows a traditional M-F schedule…PHEW!

Blog Entries

Hi Peanutlayne, welcome to the parent forums. I am of the firm belief that a five year old does not need five days a week of sit down learning. I think that helping mom, watching dad, doing things around the house, and play, play, play are the most important learning tools at this age. Just my humble opinion.

You might want to check out the parent forum for your state. Just go to the top of this page to the drop down menu that says state forums. Click on that and then click on your state. You'll find lots of great information there. Come back here or to your state forum with any questions you might have. It is so nice to meet you.