New to T4L w/an non traditional schedule
    lorimemory is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to T4L w/an non traditional schedule

Hello!

My name is Lori & I have one son, Elijah (4th grade). We are new to T4L and are anything but "traditional". I am a nurse that works shifts which means one day is very different from the next. We love the variety but it is a challenge in finding parents/friends that are taking on this special task of having/teaching our children at home rather than just "sending them off" and letting others teach them. My job is very flexible in letting Elijah come with me as he does often, which means Elijah does his school work every day but not at the same times every day. We are in Charlotte, North Carolina and would love to hear back from anyone taking this endeavor on in such an untradional way. Also, I am still in school myself and try to study when Elijah is studying.

We look forward to meeting everyone!
    Lori

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to T4L w/an non traditional schedule

Hi, Lori. Welcome!

Thanks for introducing yourself.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Hi, Lori, welcome to T4L! We have a much more typical homeschool household, as I am a sahm. However, dh has a crazy schedule, so we definitely work around that to maximize time spent with him whenever possible. I hope you both enjoy T4L! It is a great for for many people.
    Melissa.

mom2ahrj is offline Member

lori, i wish i had some great advice for you but i haven't had to attempt HSing while working yet - i commend you for taking on such a challenge and wish you all the luck in the world!

where are you in charlotte? we live in fort mill but i grew up in/around charlotte

hugs,
    jenn

swester is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am in the military and attempting to start hs for my 9 year old ADHD son. To complicate matters, my DH is also in the military. I do have a typical schedule 8-5 but he needs a lot of assistance with writing so that makes things a little harder in the evenings.

1 day down of HS...seems to be pretty positive so far. Public School has just burnt us by not fulfilling their legal obligations with his IEP. I am tired of fighting with them and this way his learning can be on my terms instead of "he just isn't doing his work. or he had a good day but didn't do any work." Someone please explain to me a good day in school that doesn't include completing assignments! Now I know if he isn't!

Good Luck to all of us working moms and dads out there with "normal" and crazy schedules!

nightworker is offline Junior Member Newbie

I work nights as a nurse and my husband works days in order to keep our kids out of daycare. Ages 3 & 5. We are trying homeschool for the first time this year. In order for me to get enough rest we keep the kids up till midnight (talk about non-traditional!). We get our school work done when we can. Some days not at all. I'm told by other homeschoolers that it takes awhile to get into the swing of things as far as a good school schedule. Be patient and try different things. It will come together eventually.

Jamie Gaddy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Wow - I am sure that it is a challenge to do all that you are doing, but it sounds like you are doing a great job! I think you are onto some great ideas - like studying when he studies! As you continue your homeschooling journey - you will find more and more things that just help it to click for your own personal situation- but be encouraged... it sounds like you are doing great!
    Jamie
    Homeschooling mom to 6 dear blessings!
    http://onlineeducationforkids.com