Plugging into homeschooling resources when you're working
    robotti is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Plugging into homeschooling resources when you're working

Is anyone else having difficulties plugging into homeschool resources, trips with other homeschooled kids, etc?

Right now I'm managing the whole thing with vacation time, but my boss isn't exactly loving that approach.

We found this great group that meets right near Princeton, it's called e-Cubed. They meet at the Plainsboro Nature Preserve. We've been once, and Brooke loved it. But it's three hours, right smack in the middle of my work day! I know I have to figure out a way that she can attend every week, because honestly the opportunity to talk to other kids who homeschool was SO positive. One of the big problems I have is that she feels like such a freak, and it really boosted her confidence.

But... I can't lose my job either. (guilt, guilt, guilt)

How are you guys managing this? It seems like most homeschooling groups are not surprisingly run by people who are home with their kids during the day. Has anyone found or started any groups that meet at night or on the weekends?

Thanks,

Anne

mandiana is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Plugging into homeschooling resources when you're working

Has anyone found or started any groups that meet at night or on the weekends?
    No, I haven't seen any groups like this, but this is such a great idea!

I think there are probably a lot of people who would like something like this.

~Amanda

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Our group seems to meet at various times. Most of the stuff IS during working hours, which sucks. I do daycare and we are a 1 car family, so if it happens M-Th.... we cannot attend. If it falls on Fridays(DH day off) then he takes them.
    They do seem to plan get togethers about every 2 months in the evening.
    Can you start a get together in the evenings?
    Our group is open to suggestions and encourages other members to hold stuff at their house. We are waiting for nice weather, then we will do something here. My house is really tiny so holding stuff inside cant happen!LOL But we have a huge yard and plan on having at least 1-2 get-togethers this summer with them.
    Our group also seems to be M-F, no weekends. Which is fine with me, but it would also make it easier to get together.

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

I like the idea of a group that would meet on the weekend or at night because like aandwsmom said, we are a single car household and it's really hard to meet in the middle of the week. There is a local group I've wanted to attend since we moved here in teh beginning of December, but I have yet to make it to a meeting!

I have seen articles online dealing with starting a homeschool group, if you are seriously considering the idea.
    Melissa.

Pattymomof2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I know what you mean about the guilt. Trying to be all and do all is obviously impossible and we are not called to do that but it doesn't mean we don't wish we could do more. We have a conviction to homeschool our kids because we feel that is what is best for them. So stand firm and don't give up because they're worth it but here are a few suggestions.
    Our local homeschool group meets about once a month in the evenings in order to organize and deliver information on any upcoming events, group classes, etc. I think it also gives the stay at home parents an opportunity to get out of the house for a little while. If you can find a group in your area for that part it might be of help. They also have barn dances once in a while that are completely family friendly. A family thought of the idea a few years ago and ran with it. Co-op stuff can also be helpful; i.e. if they take your kids once a month to the e-cubed, you agree to help them once a month however that may be.
    One problem we have is that my kids can't really relate with some of the HS families. Many don't have a t.v., they don't go to movies, and they don't play video games. We have 5 t.v.s with satellite, we go to the movies quite a few times per year, and we all play video games. That's not to say there aren't rules and guidelines in our home.
    My point is that we told our kids this is not a punishment it's a privilege so their friends are welcome to come over on evenings or weekends as long as all their work is done. I have also planned for some educational field trips that include their PS friends. We are also very active in our church which is a big help. Just because we HS doesn't mean our kids can't have other friends. You may even come to find out like I did that their friends tell them how lucky they are and how they wish they could be homeschooled too.

judyh is offline Junior Member Newbie

HI robotti,
    You've put a devilish icon besides the word - "boss". I hope he is not giving you too much trouble because this can really affect your mood at home as well. Sometimes it does affect mine and i just couldn't concentrate when i am teaching my kids in the evening after my work. Thus far, i don't think i have any problems plugging into homeschool resources. As for homeschool trips with other kids, this really does conflict with my schedule as i am not around much in the day. Other homeschool kids dun have this problem as their mums are mostly SAHM. If need be, i will take half day leave just so that i can bring my kids out for trips. I guess i am more fortunate to have an understanding boss
    judy
    Mum who is always on the go for homeschool curriculum for her kids
    Using flash cards homeschool software to teach baby to read is such fun