Role Call! Parents who work outside the home.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Role Call! Parents who work outside the home.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Role Call! Parents who work outside the home.

Post here if you work outside the home (WOHM) and tell us what you do.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

alearningadventure is offline Member Regular

I am a medical social worker/discharge planner. I used to be full time, am now on call. I work only a few days a month, usually weekends or everning iin the emergency department. I sometimes work weekday day shifts though if needed. I am the only on call that covers Utilization review so just worked 5 of the last eight days to cover a vacation. Kids go to a friend's or their old daycare with a to do list and a pile of work.
    Laura

kellymlt is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am a medical laboratory tech. I work 3 twelve hour day shifts a week and one 12 hour night shift a week at another hospital. He will be going to my mothers when I have to work along with his 2 year old sister. He will be able to use the computer at her house to do what he can with her assistance.
    Oh forgot to mention he is 12.
    Christie
    Mom of 2, 12yr old son and 3 year daughter

aprilh is offline Member

I am the bookkeeper/office manager for my parents' construction/property management company. My son goes to work with me. He just turned 12 yesterday.

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

I am an aspiring WAHM. Weird, I know. I write, but I don't get paid. So that probably doesn't count. Someday.
    Melissa.

Ansgrape is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default WOHM

Hi,
    I am a Quality Manager for a plastics plant and I work 8-5 everyday. I homeschooled my dd while working when she was in middle school. She decided to go to public highschool when she was a freshman. She is now a Sophomore and doing quite well (in honors classes no less!). Her success made me confident that I can do the same thing with my 13 yo 7th grade son. He is not nearly as motivated as my dd so I decided to use T4L for him. I don't know yet how this will work as I have just now pulled him out of PS. He seems pretty thrilled to get to do school online but the test will be when he's been doing it for several weeks. My plan is to email his assignments to him everyday and check on his progress when he is finished at the end of the day. I will try to supplement with good books and fieldtrips on the weekends. He loves our church which has lots of good activities for middle schoolers which keeps him from getting bored. I learned with my dd not to stress over missing stuff. I know I missed a few things with her but when she got back into PS after HS for three years she sailed right in. In fact, she was much more well rounded and had a wider skill set than many of her peers. Plus, there is the added bonus of three years of taking responsibility for her own education. It has made all the difference in her highschool work. Homeschooling and working full time can be done and done well!
    Sharia

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

I work in the bakery of a grocery store part-time mostly. Some weeks I end up working five days but my regular schedule is four days a week 3-11:30a.m.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

Ansgrape is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default WOHM, Quality Manager

I am a full time Quality Manager in a manufacturing plant. I am currently hsing my 13 yo 7th grade ds. I did the same for my dd who is now in public high school. She hsed through middle and sailed right into honors classes in high school. She is now a Soph and doing wonderfully. In fact, I would say she is more well rounded than most of her peers and she has taken complete responsibility for her own education. (A lovely surprise reaped from HSing) Her success inspired me to do the same with my ds. T4L seems a good fit since he is not nearly as motivated as she is. I just started so I'm not sure how well he will do, fingers crossed. I did learn with my dd, don't sweat missing stuff, I know I did with her and it worked out great! Working FT and HSing can be done and done well!

robotti is offline Junior Member Newbie

Amber, did I read correctly that you go to work at 3am? I've got to stop whining! :-D

I'm Anne Robotti, I work as a Technical Writer, writing hardware & software manuals and doing marketing materials for a financial services company. I still haven't worked out how to make sure my daughter's working, or to measure her progress. Emailing her assignments, as stupid as this sounds, never occurred to me. DOH!

She also works with a tutor twice a week, and she really likes homeschooling. I wish the school would get off my back, but that's another post.

Anne

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Role Call! Parents who work outside the home.

I'm getting ready to open my own insurance agency. I'm going to set up a space for the children to do their work in my office too, and its right around the corner from my house. I'm excited! I've been out of the business world for a couple years, but this is what I do - sell insurance.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast