Socialization in Homeschooling
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Socialization in Homeschooling

jimmypalmer10 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Socialization in Homeschooling

Hey everyone, UCF mom here. I've been very involved with researching unique aspects of socialization in homeschooling. Also, I have been considering putting my children into homeschooling for the next school year. They're really sweet kids but sometimes I worry about whether or not they'll get bored or not. What do you all think? What strategies do you have for your children to keep them in the loop with other students and groups? And lastly, what is the primary pain you face with keeping them socializing and entertained?

I hope I can gain more insight. Thanks in advance!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

A good local homeschool group is the best thing.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

clmsmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

In my area there is a VERY ACTIVE homeschool group. I would suggest maybe you look around for a group such as that? Because I work I am unable to take him to functions during the day, which is when our homeschool group hosts most of it's functions but that doesn't stop me from getting him involved! He is an active member in 4-H, Awana and now Soccer.

There are just so many options out there for kids these days..from boyscouts and girlscouts, to Awana, to a variety of sports, 4-H, dance, music classes. Socialization should not be an issue at all. We also have a future foundations family center which hosts activites and programs geared towards kids. I live in a rural area and there are so many opportunities..it's just a matter of jumping in and getting involved! I don't have any issues with socialization and I have homeschooled my only child the whole way. He has never set foot inside a public school..and I am happy with that.

Good luck!
    BASHhomeschool likes this.

Blog Entries

Well said clmsmom.

sophiabowaus is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much for this idea. Actually it is one of my concern about homeschooling. Am i depriving their social activities when I do this to him. At least I got an idea on how I can give them socialization.

Blog Entries

I can't stress enough how important a good homeschool support group is. Not only does it provide social opportunities for your children, but it provides a source of strength and guidance for the parents as well.

BASHhomeschool is offline Junior Member

I agree that an active homeschool group is a great idea but if you cannot attend homeschool group activities because of a work schedule, look for other groups. Interest based groups abound and many of them are geared around public school schedules and typical work schedules to allow working parents to participate. Also check with your local library to see what programs they have to offer.

Blog Entries

Great ideas everyone.

rj3822 is offline Junior Member

I would like to know more about socialization ideas. We live in a community where all home school group activities are done during the weekday and my daughter does not play sports. There are no classes during the evening in art or music. There is not a community theater. I am at my wit's end and my daughter is aching for interaction with people her own age. I do not know what to do or how to find groups she can participate in without me having to drive 45 minutes each way after working all day and getting her sister to and from her softball practice and cooking dinner, and so on and so forth. Anything you can recommend I'd love to hear! Thanks.

qeducationsg is offline Junior Member Newbie

It'll be good to engage your child with other children via tuition centres. A child's interaction is crucial, especially when they're still young. An alternative method is let him/her have siblings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast