WAHM's what do your kids do while you work?
    MelanieM is offline Junior Member

Default WAHM's what do your kids do while you work?

Hi,
    I am new to Time4Learning, but I am really excited about something that my kids can do on their own. I have a 10-year-old daughter and a 6-year-old son. I work from home about 6 hours a day, and sometimes I am able to have a mother's helper who keeps the kids occupied while I work. However, she can't come every day, and I am sometimes at a loss on how to keep the kids busy without my being constantly interrupted. I do medical transcription, so I really can't multitask while I work. I work from around 6 a.m. to about 12 or 1 p.m. I have about 4 hours of working time where my kids are not sleeping and it seems so hard to find things for them to do. My 10 year old actually can do lots of things, but my 6-year-old boy is hard to keep busy. Any ideas? Or is this just really hard?? My daughter might do Time4Learning totally on her own, but my son really doesn't like computer stuff and I am not even sure that he will keep doing Time4Learning.
    Thanks for any suggestions!
    Melanie

NW Coupon Lady is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default What my daughter does during the day when I'm at work

I'm lucky that my husband and I have opposite shifts. I work 8:30 to 3:00 and he works 6:00pm to 4:00am. I home school my 9 year old daughter. We do our home school in the evenings. During the day I will leave my daughter spelling to practice, daily writing, review math pages. She has on-site classes (charter school) 3 days a week, each day for a couple hours at our homelink school. So she stays pretty busy. When I get home we go over somethings and start work about 6:00. Workbooks, online T4L about 6 activities, reading, etc. We normally work 6:00 to 9:00. She loves working for about 30-40 minutes and taking a 10 minute break. She is a little ADHD, so it works perfect. This is our first year of homeschooling and she loves it. The stress of school is no longer an issue. Love it.

KDanann is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Melanie,

I am a WAHM who is HSing my 11 dd and 7 ds and it can definitely be a challenge. We use a planner system and I assign Time4learning each day for each of the main activities. I use a dot to represent each lesson and a Q or T to represent a Quiz or a Test. I also pre-print the resource worksheets that go along with the assignments and after the dot for the assignment each kiddo will see a WS symbol telling them to do their worksheet which they can find in a tray and return to that tray. I take a break from work to have lunch with them and check over their progress. The rule is no free choice time ie. outside play, legos, etc until their school work is done. What a wonderful motivator that is! It's just like our jobs, the sooner we get done with what we need to do...the sooner we get to do what we want to do. I ask the kids to draw a line though each symbol when they've completed each assignment which is another great way to learn responsibility. This method requires a lot of hands on help at first, but you will see them working independently in no time and before you know it they'll even track their assignments themselves! It was a huge milestone the day my 7 year old told the 11 year old she could double check if she'd completed the assignment by checking the backpack on the home screen and looking at the assignments completed on that day. I also have the kids work in the same study where I work. My thinking is that if I model quiet, productivity for them I can expect them to follow through with their work. It also allows for a simple shhh or a tap on the desk to remind them that they need to get back on task.

I hope this helps, good luck!
    Kelly

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I work at home. My son is usually on his computer while I am working on mine.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota