Walkie-talkie for communication with kid
    alhaza is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Walkie-talkie for communication with kid

Hello, everyone, Iím new here and I want to share my idea and ask for your advice about this idea. My husband and I both works and our son must spend some time alone until I return home. My son likes to play with walkie-talkie and carries it around all the time, so after reading an article on this site, I decided to communicate with him through walkie-talkie. I know that mobile phone might be better, but as you know, kids forget everything while playing and, also, canít hear phone ringing. We use really simple walkie-talkie and Iím thinking of buying a new one. I found a list on this parenting site, but I wonder which one is the best. Could you recommend me? Or maybe you know an alternative idea of communicating with child while being at work.

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi, welcome to Time4Learning forums.

I had a neighbor who used the walkie-talkie communication with her children before they where old enough and mature enough for phones. She never spent a lot of money on them because just like phones they can be broke. This was her child's test run for a phone down the road. After about 2 years after they had used the walkie-talkies only replacing them 1 time. They understood the importance of communication with mom. Things like -Come home in 5 minutes, check in all is good, or even Mom staying for dinner.

The only thing I would be concerned about is that other people can tune into your walkie-talkie channel. So if you say words things that lead people to believe your child is home alone then you open up for other issues. My friend was very careful not to say exactly where she or her children where over the walkie-talkie.

I did not have time to go look at the site you recommended above. I just wanted to share my own experience with them.
    Last edited by Strouse House; 06-21-2016 at 11:08 AM. Reason: missed a word
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

Karen Reck is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Walkie-talkie for communication with kid

That's a really good idea. But why can't you rely on land phones instead?

Cdot is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Reck View Post
    That's a really good idea. But why can't you rely on land phones instead?
    Land phones? Like... with cords in the wall? I'm pretty sure only businesses have those nowadays... I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to figure out how to install one in my house...

But I'm in the same boat. I'd like to be able to let my kids ride their bikes unsupervised (8&6) and to maybe walk the dog without them freaking out or needing something (or worse - trying to get something they THINK they need by themselves). I really dislike the idea of giving them phones at this age, but we do need a solution. As it is, should anything happen to me the kids know to tell Alexa to "send a message to Grandma" which triggers various texts to be sent out (inlaws, neighbors, police etc) but I'd like something that we can use without emergency and that communicates 2 way. It's seriously a frustrating concept.

olivia262 is offline Junior Member

Good idea indeed!

jese.beard is offline Junior Member

Good Idea! But why won't you try using cellular phones?