Welcome to the Working Parents' Forum!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Welcome to the Working Parents' Forum!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Welcome to the Working Parents' Forum!

Yes, you can still homeschool if you work outside the home!

This forum is for discussing scheduling, supervision, and other issues of interest to working families.

You might also want to take a look a the following post on the Time4Learning blog about homeschooling and working.
    legalshelhomm123 likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

robotti is offline Junior Member Newbie

This is great! Thanks so much for starting this just in time for the New Year - I was getting a little discouraged there.

NIKKINICOLE is offline Junior Member Newbie

It is so exciting to see a forum full of parents just like me!!! I have been homeschooling my now 9 year old since Kindergarten, with the help of my parents. Both his father and I work outside of the home during the day, so having my parents around to help has been the best. I was nervous about T4L the first time I signed up because we were used to a virtual school environment, where the curriculum was set and all the supplies were sent to us by the charter school that managed the virtual academy. When we moved to Charlotte County we could not longer go to this same online academy, so we tried T4L. I love it!! My little one is learning so much and the freedom of creating our own curriculum has opened so many paths to learning. Although I am out of the house most of the day on the days I work, I am still confident that he is learning and I can track his sign in from my computer at work. We have explored museums and based our field trips around what he is learning online. I love it and would reccommend it to anyone looking for curriculum help. We supplement with workbooks and hands on learning......This is our second year and we are super excited about it!!!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums Nikkinicole. I have an 11 year old son. We have used time4learning since preK. And we still love it. We also do lots and lots of field trips for the hands on learning. My son learns better that way. Did you know there is a forum just for Florida families? If you go to the drop down menu at the top of this page that says State Forums. Just click on Florida. It's great to meet other families in your area using the same curriculum.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

tiyashrivasthav is offline Junior Member

Hey It's a good idea n thank you for starting this. My sister is working MOM. She is not able to take care her daughter. I will suggest this forum to her.

Cfarmer1116 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy Re: Welcome to the Working Parents' Forum!

Hi! I work a standard M-F 8-5 job. I have been homeschooling for the last 4 years with different curriculums. We are looking for a change as the one we are using just isn't cutting it anymore. I have two up and coming 9th graders, one 5th grader and one 2nd grader. I am married but he doesn't really help that much due to his job. I am trying to determine if T4L is a good fit for us as I don't have a lot of time to lesson plan, grade and record it all. I am sure this 2nd grade is more hands on for parents than the upper grades, right? My kids are pretty self motivated and make good grades now. Just testing the waters, I guess. We need a change and I hope T4L can be the change we are looking for.

Cerra
    -Struggling Homeschool parent-

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Welcome to the Working Parents' Forum!

Hi, Cerra!

I found Time4Learning in 2006 after the birth of my sixth child. I worked part time, and I had always homeschooled all my kids. T4L was a breath of fresh air for us.

I was accustomed to sitting down at the dining room table every night to a huge stack of workbooks to correct. It has been so nice to have almost all of their work graded by the computer. There are printable worksheets (optional) and writing assignments for parents to grade, so I'm still keeping a good eye on what they're doing. I look at reports every night and print a weekly report. So, even though the work load is diminished, I'm still very much involved, which is what initially worried me about using an online curriculum.

The best analogy I've heard compares Time4Learning to a dishwasher! Sure, a dishwasher washes your dishes . . . but someone has to scrape and rinse them, load the dishwasher, put in soap, put the clean dishes away, and occasionally clean the dishwasher itself or troubleshoot something. Likewise, Time4Learning does teach your child . . . but someone has to set up a plan, check reports, grade worksheets or writing assignments, print reports, and occasionally help the child with something they don't understand.

Anyway, I think T4L is a great option for a working parent. I've still added other fun things when we have time but, with Time4Learning as our core curriculum, I know the basic are getting done even when it's crazy busy around here!

Four of my six have graduated and gone on to college, but the younger two are still using Time4Learning. The older kids have been well prepared for college and careers, so we're sticking with what works.

Hopefully others will come along to share their personal experiences, as I know I found that helpful when I was trying to decide.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!