Working Home Schooling Moms: Am I Alone?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Neutrinoze is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Working Home Schooling Moms: Am I Alone?

Are there any of you out there that are working home schooling moms? I imagine this scenario might be pretty rare, but if you're out there, I'd like to hear from you. Even if you're not working, you're working (keeping a home and taking care of children is the hardest job I've ever done), so support from anyone would be great, but if there's anyone out there working on a non-traditional schedule, I'd really like to hear about it.
    Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I worked outside the home two days a week for many years, while homeschooling two or three of my kids. (My husband worked nights, so, although he was sleeping during the day, he was still home and available in case of an emergency.)

These days, I have several jobs I do FROM my home . . . which I like much better.

You might be surprised. A lot of working moms choose Time4Learning because they can check on their student's progress without being right there at home.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

lisas is offline Member

Default me -- I do

I work at home -- I run a web development company I have been doing since 1997. It is very demanding, so I might as well be working outside the home, the only difference is that I don't have to drive anywhere unless having to go to client meetings, which I try to limit by charging people if they feel like they absolutely have to look at my face in person

That was part of the reason I chose Time4learning -- I didn't have the time to be figuring out lesson plans and correcting papers. So far, I really like it. We have had a few bumps along the way, but they were relatively minor and now we are in a routine and have caught our "groove".

I use the computer all day long, so that also made it a good choice for me.
    http://www.lisawebdesigns.com
    Lisa
    Second year homeschooling 6th grade twins!
    My Personal Blog
    My Professional Blog

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

I also work from home also through the internet. My hours are whatever I want them to be basically so I have a lot of flexibility. It still is a struggle though making time for everything.

It's hard also for others to realize/remember that I actually do WORK from home. I can't believe how many people still don't get it when they call and I say I am working and I have to explain each time.

My husband and my at least understand. They know if I say I'm working to try to keep the noise down a bit and to not ask me 1,001 questions.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

Michelle7252 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I'm a full time working, homeschooling mom

I was glad to read that someone else is doing what I'm doing!

This is my first year homeschooling my daughter (13). She is a very quiet, reserved child, and middle school kids were hurting her self esteem, confidence and sense of self. She begged me to be hs'd for the last two years, and this year I relented. I didn't think I could do it and work a 40 a week job, and run a non-profit community center, too! I'm still not positive that I can do it all, so to speak, but finding T4L has made me feel as if I have a chance.

My dd is very disciplined, and I have no problem with her doing exactly as she is told, so I don't worry about her shirking her work or responsibilites, but it is kind of difficult when I am not there right at the moment she has a question. To make it doubly hard, I travel with my job and am out of the home about 9 nights of the month, so I depend on her older brother, dh, and a sitter to help, too, when they can, but none of them really have (or feel) the responsibility of her education the way I do.

We have been on T4L for just over two weeks. Glad to meet you!

Michelle

Neutrinoze is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I am not alone!

Thanks for all of your replies! It's good to know I'm not alone in this. You know, I have a son (10) with ADD. He's a brilliant kid, but the classroom was killing him. His teacher yelled in his face (it was difficult for me not to yell in hers), his classmates made fun of him when his mind wandered during group learning, and he just generally couldn't sit still for long periods of time. Well, it turns out that he's a wonderfully independent learner. Now that he can go at his own pace, without the additional stress of the public school environment, he's developing into quite the student. My daughter (12) is more of a social learner. I'm trying to decide how to proceed with her, but she's currently doing well with Time4Learning. Our schedule works like this:
    1. Independent work from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 (with a lunch break) at my mother's house. This works well, since my dad is an IT and has set up two computers with headphones for the kids to use.
    2. Guided instruction, review, and help for 1 hour each (more, if necessary), after I get home from work. I work from 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., and work from home two days a week.

I completely understand feeling somewhat unsure as to whether your doing a decent job. At least I know that they won't fall through the cracks. I don't let them move on to the next subject until they've mastered what they're working on. We've taken some pretty cool field trips, too. I've taken them to a museum of natural history, which they loved. I've also taken them to my old Geology department to look at a few items under a scanning electron microscope. You don't want to know what we saw! Yuck!

Anyway, I've rambled on too long. I'd like to hear what some of your schedules are like. I'd also like to know more about what you're all doing from home! I'd love to work strictly from my home, but I'm not sure there are many oportunities for a Geologist to do that.

Have a great Thursday, everyone!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

when we started homeschooling, i worked from home full time as a virtual assistant. i started working at disney part-time and after a lot of family drama, i had to stop doing both. we're just now finally getting everything back together. i hope to be starting back at disney soon, i'm just waiting for another spot to open back up.

like a few of you have said already - i chose t4l because its a ready-made package. i don't have to stress about lesson planning (which i did for a year and it drove me nuts). i like the fact that my children can do a lesson with only one of us watching over their shoulder, just in case. I like that its cohesive and complete - and i don't have to worry that they're missing something.

i think we are blessed to be living in a time where we really can have the entire world at our fingertips. we no longer have to depend on other people to train up our children simply because we have to be 6-income families in an unstable economy.

now .... if only we can figure out a way for a website to fold and put away our laundry *sigh*
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Mary jane is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi there-
    I also work outside the home. I work mornings and my husband works afternoon/evenings. This has been working out well except that my place of employment is now laying off people. I noticed that two of the posts here were from people who work from home. I would love if you could let me know what type of work you are doing from home and how you went about getting the work.

I really appreciate this!!

Thanks

MJ

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

I work for a sweepstakes newsletter. I used to run my own sweepstakes related website and closed that down many years ago. I had been a subscriber and active member of the newsletter's website and a few years ago the owner asked if I would be interested in working for them. I work for them on the online part of their business. The work is easy for me, I work as little or as much as I want, and I can work at any time of the day or night I want. That is my primary "work-from-home" job. I'm always open to doing various other jobs and projects also when they pop-up.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

ABunn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Working and Homeschooling

HI, I am new to T4L, however, I have been a homeschool mom for several years. I have had to spend a great deal of this time helping to suppliment the families income. I find this to be very irratating at times. But fortunately I have a great support group in my family and we work together to assist one another. Also, I am a nurse. This feild allows for more flexibilty than most careers. I believe though the ideal work for a homeschooling perant is a career that can be managed from home. Any who as I said I am new to t4l, I have three children, my two oldest have graduated, went to our local tech college and are now working full time jobs. My youngest is 10 yo. She is extremely self motivated, she requires very little one on one time. This is a blessing because my boys couldn't inhale without me there with them.
    I look forward to continueing with t4l, I am very excited about this curriculum. I also enjoy reading these forums. This is all new to me.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble.
    ABunn

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast