Hey y'all!

Thread: Hey y'all!

WyoMomma is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hey y'all!

So, my name is Shawna and I'm extremely new to not only T4L, but to homeschooling in general!

We have been researching homeschooling for a little over a year now and just last month decided it was time to start with our 9yr old daughter, Rheanna. Long story short...she has a learning disorder called Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) which means her hearing is perfect, but what she hears cannot be processed correctly in her brain. It's a severe case and she has struggled throughout her public school career with it. This is not a "recognized" LD anywhere in the US so, we have always had a hard time getting services for her. The services she DOES receive are limited and the teachers, SpEd, SLP's, etc do not quite understand what she goes through daily (even though we've written up basic info, then detailed info and gave to each of her teachers every year. We have had many meetings and even had a specialized audiologist attend one to explain and they still don't get it! On top of this, she is also diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder... No wonder!

So, one thing CAPD causes her trouble with is socialization. Since her brain cannot process things correctly, she doesn't grasp the concept of "correct" conversation. She also has a hard time understanding basic games kids play. Because of all of this, she has been bullied the last couple years, this year being the worst. After many meetings with teachers, parents, students...nothing changed. She is called horrible names, kids throw rocks at her (one even said "you're so dumb I bet you don't even know what a rock is!"... This was heard by a teacher and that child only had a meeting with his parents and missed one day of recess...) she is the sweetest, most caring child you will ever meet... If a child is upset, she would goto them and ask if they were ok, and then that same child who was just picked on would say, go away! You're retarded and I don't need to be seen wih you!

so, she has come home crying many times... But for a month straight...the month before we pulled her from school... She came home daily crying about her horrible life, saying she wished she was never born, wished she could just not live anymore, and called herself nothing and a nobody. We cried for her daily... Just the most heartbreaking thing to hear from your child...ESP a 9yr old! She missed school a lot that month as we were setting up for her to homeschool... Then we pulled her!

I tell you... This has been the best choice we have ever made! Even though it hasn't been long, we have seen her attitude about EVERYTHING improve! She's been happier than we have seen her in a LONG time!

We are kind of "de-schooling" right now, but she enjoys getting on the T4L site and doing school a bit. She does love learning... She just couldn't do it when at school.

Next school year, we plan to not only homeschool her, but her 7yr old brother, Danny, and her 3yr old sister, Carli as well! After all of our research, we realize the many many benefits to homeschooling! Danny and Carli are both very excited!

wow... Ok, so that wasn't so short, but trust me...I could write a novel much longer than this one! Lol! My husband, Ryan, and I are nervous, overwhelmed, but COMPLETELY excited to begin this journey with our kiddos... And we are thrilled to begin it with this program!

This wyoming forum doesn't seem to be used much... But hopefully there are one or two or many wyoming homeschoolers out there who will join in!

cant wait to get to know you!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello, WyoMomma. I'm so sorry for all your daughter had to endure in school. It's awful that kids can be so cruel and that there seem to be no consequences. Makes you wonder about 'socialization'.

Our youngest daughter has Down syndrome. I pulled her out of school halfway into her first year in elementary school. She attended a preschool, which was a wonderful experience for her. I had already started homeschooling her older sister and her twin brother. I was insecure about being able to teach my daughter with DS, though. Halfway into the school year, though, I realized that she had learned more during her spring break than she had that whole year. And she was happier, too. She had cried almost every day on her way to school. I have homeschooled our 3 children from the beginning. My other children never went to public school. Homeschooling has been the best choice we have ever made for our family.

I think it's a great idea that your are de-schooling for some time. I'm sure you've done a lot of reading up on homeschooling. That's the first thing I did, too. We knew only one other family that homeschooled, and they lived about an hour from us. So the very next thing I did was to find a way to meet more homeschoolers. We signed up with our local homeschool support group and I attended every one of their meetings, attended as many of their events as we could, and volunteered as much as I could. Most of our friends are friends that we have had since we first started homeschooling many years ago. And it's not just the kids, but families. My husband and I are friends with the parents of our kids' friends, and we often get together to 'hang out' as families. The kids interact with 'all' the kids, not just their own age group. At our gatherings, you'll find a group of kids playing a card game, and ages range from 7 to 17. I love that. We just went to a birthday party last night, and a group of girls were encouraging our daughter with DS to dance with them.

As for the Time4Learning, it has been a God-send for us! Our dd learns through repetition. So it is so beneficial for her that she can repeat lessons as often as necessary for her to grasp or understand the lessons. She is able to work at her own pace. We also appreciate that we are not tied to one grade level for all subjects, since she is weaker at math than all her other subjects. Another area that works extremely well for our daughter is the animated and interactive nature of the lessons. T4L keeps her engaged, and she is loving learning. I never have to fuss with her to do her school work.

You may find this link to the Helps and Hints of T4L helpful. Don't miss the additional tools on the left side of the page.

So welcome to Time4Learning. You'll find people here on the forums are very friendly and helpful...same goes for the staff at Time4Learning! I've had to call once or twice with questions, and they've walked me through to help me find my answers.
    Enjoy your homeschooling journey!!!
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass